Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone chip there car stock? If so what chip and how much hp and tq gain. I am deciding to get a chip but not sure which one.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
revo is the best for chips. i went to the local performance shop the other day (autodreams) and he said revo makes a chip that would give me atleast 60 more hp (75 at most) and raise torque by atleast 80 (107 at most)
so they are definitly the way to go for a stock car

·
Registered
39 Posts
while APR might not pull out the best numbers off a dyno, they will engineer the best software improvement for you car. anyone can make horsepower, but APR makes horsepower without fucking your engine in the longrun

·
Registered
89 Posts
Went to Louisville, Ky yesterday and visited Grossman Tuning (www.grossmantuning.com). I got a Neuspeed intake and Revo stage 1 tuning. They dont have a dyno so Im not sure what the exact gain is, BUT, my god its like a different car. My GTI gets loose in 3rd now. And the sound of the motor and the turbo is amazing. I guess the software does many things for the motor, including changing boost from 8psi stock to 17psi. I can really hear that turbo now, sounds like a big turbo. Also found out something else. The old GTI 1.8T motors had a plastic diverter valve (or blow off valve). The shop was under the impression the 2.0T would be the same and recommended I replace the factory redirect valve with a billet model. Come to find out, the valve is built into the charger. Saved me $160. But the mechanic showed me a valve off a 1.8T model. I couldnt believe how cheap it was. He said the plastic will eventually give way to the added boost, and of course the warranty wont cover it.

I highly recommend this upgrade to anyone with the means to do so ($499.99 for the software, $275 for the intake installed). I will find a shop with a dyno and let you all know what the numbers are. My fast has always put a smile on my face, but now, its the biggest shit eating grin anyone has seen!! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
300 Posts
Anybody know what the damage is over time to the engine in general after installing one of the mentioned chips to the car? I kind of picture it like overclocking a CPU. It'll go crazy for now and put a big 'ol smile on your face, but 3 years from now you'll have to replace all the parts in the engine, 'cause they couldn't hack it, if not the whole dang thing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
blackgti06 said:
You could of put the intake in yourself and saved $275 it was not hard at all. Just letting you know.
Actually i could have saved $32 by putting the intake on myself, but I hate monkeying around with engines, such a pain. Let it be someone elses pain for 32 bucks

·
Registered
89 Posts
deviltailedfast said:
Anybody know what the damage is over time to the engine in general after installing one of the mentioned chips to the car? I kind of picture it like overclocking a CPU. It'll go crazy for now and put a big 'ol smile on your face, but 3 years from now you'll have to replace all the parts in the engine, 'cause they couldn't hack it, if not the whole dang thing.
the stage 1 tuning is not a danger to the stock engine. it does turn the boost up, but, Audi makes one of the best turbos and these are capable of accepting up to 23psi. Stage 1 is around 17 or 18. Now if a person starts changing turbos and intercoolers and running 25-30 pounds of boost, they will need to consider purchasing racing rods, pistons, bearings and having the valves re-shimmed. Youre talking big money there. I think eventually, if a GTI were pushing enough horsepower, the shafts would have to changed as well. Me, Im just sticking to small change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
how would the overall damage over time change on a car that drives alot?

i have to commute in my gti about 1hour one way to work. i would like to get sum of these upgrades in the near future, but will it destroy my motor with the long commute?

·
Registered
89 Posts
GTICartman said:
how would the overall damage over time change on a car that drives alot?

i have to commute in my gti about 1hour one way to work. i would like to get sum of these upgrades in the near future, but will it destroy my motor with the long commute?
The only thing that damages a car is abuse and neglect. If you mod it, and drive it like you stole it all the time, the car will respond negatively. Im guessing if you commute an hour each way, those are highway miles. Set the cruise, easy miles on your fast. Race from light to light, you might break something eventually. And that can happen with a stock engine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sucks being where i am... over 175 miles to get my gti chipped. Makes me cry... im going to start doing something to make more money. And put that away so i can do everything i want to it at 1 time... lower, intake, exhaust, chip, and body kit... I get a 5000 bonus in october... will probably happen then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.