My Fast GTi banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'd like to get a Chip, either APR or Neuspeed for my MKV Fast, but I was wondering if getting it chipped will put an extra load on the Turbo and as such I will be shortening its lifetime. I have friends who tell me if I chip, I should expect to replace the Turbo by 50K

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yes, almost anything that increases your horsepower output will decrease your engine's lifespan. The extra performance from an ecu flash comes partly from an increase in boost. This will shorten your turbo's life. I'd like to know where your friend came up with 50K though. I don't think anyone has a good idea how long to expect this turbo to last with a VW 2.0 engine and I'm certain your friend hasn't done a comprehensive stress analysis to determine that whatever a stock lifeline is will be reduced to 50K by getting chipped.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yeah I agree Blue...No way really to tell yet. In another year or two, we should all know what the long term risks really are. The best thing to do is just be prepared for it. It's like they say for a N/A car, the twin turbo kit may only cost 5 grand...but be prepared always to put twice that into it for things like INTERNALS....modding cars can be a dangerous buisiness....don't let that deter you, just be aware of the fact that you MAY, or MAY NOT have to shell out the cash for new parts, new engine, new turbo...who knows. You just can't half-a$$ things and expect them to work properly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the clarifications, and it seems doubtful that I will be chipping anytime soon. I'll stick to Intake and Exhaust for now.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yeah it's too easy really....just be ready in case something does go wrong, that you don't end up in the hole money wise...This can turn into an expensive hobby rather quickly.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I think that if you have a good chip you can turn it to stock and switch it back if want to go fast and switch back to stock later maybe this would help the turbo live longer idk.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Its going to depend heavily on how you drive. The turbo pushes more boost under heavy acceleration or high speeds, so its going to come down to the driver. I like having the extra power there when I want to use it. If it reduces the lifespan of my turbo by 20%, so be it. I'm having a blast! O0

1 - 9 of 9 Posts