My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im just starting to hook up my gti...right now i have money for the APR chip and an intake (probably the DBILAS)...but should i wait with the chip? is it better to chip the car before mods or after? cause i heard there is a gain difference

·
Registered
277 Posts
hypnotica003 said:
hi im just starting to hook up my gti...right now i have money for the APR chip and an intake (probably the DBILAS)...but should i wait with the chip? is it better to chip the car before mods or after? cause i heard there is a gain difference
You heard right - depending on what brand you go with and what you have installed you can get a diff stage of the companies map - which will make more power... what mods you need and such each company site will list what they recommend. Me personally - I'm do'n a TBE and a CAI before I chip....

Lots out there to read 8)

·
Registered
277 Posts
hypnotica003 said:
any help for APR? : [help]
Peeps are gonna eat you alive :D

All this info is out there if you just search for APR, Revo, GIAC (the top 3) and read up.......APR, seems to be the safest tune but the least power, GIAC in the middle and Revo at the top of the power chain....the choice is yours!

Yes, they will all void warranty if detected. No dealerships can detect them, and if a problem arises it has to be directly related to the chip and has to be proven to void warranty. But you sound like you are gonna mod and know the game 8)

·
Registered
747 Posts

O0 O0 O0
It all depends on how much you want to mod your car
I am going to stop at Stage 1, so it doesn't really matter if I chip it first, or if I add the intake first.
It turns out I just ordered my P-flow intake and I am end up chipping in late november

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Not true i went to get the OY upgrade for my gti. The dealer called me asking what is this APR we found on your car. They detected it but didnt really care much about it. I have the mods so far: Neuspeed: intake, short shifter, ITG air filter, Apr stg 1 chip 3 programs(stock, 93 oct, lockout), Eurojet stage 3 FMIC, On the way Eurojet R32 tbe and stage 2 apr chip.

·
Registered
277 Posts
blackgti06 said:
Not true i went to get the OY upgrade for my gti. The dealer called me asking what is this APR we found on your car. They detected it but didnt really care much about it. I have the mods so far: Neuspeed: intake, short shifter, ITG air filter, Apr stg 1 chip 3 programs(stock, 93 oct, lockout), Eurojet stage 3 FMIC, On the way Eurojet R32 tbe and stage 2 apr chip.
Let me rephrase - if you flash back to the stock map the dealer knows nothing..... O0

·
Registered
747 Posts
hmm do you have to actually reflash? or can you just revert your chip to the stock mode...I dont have a chip yet BTW so I am curious
Also if you have a the REVO or APR...etc software, do you lose the chip if the dealer flashes your ECU? :-\ ???

·
Registered
46 Posts
blackgti06 said:
I bet you almost shit your pants. almost like getting called to the office in school. LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
So what is the main and best company for the CHIP.. APR or REVO or EIP or any others,,i've been hearing all good things about APR and also APR stage I gets u up to 303 lbs of torque which is better than the REVO..also heard bad things with the REVO and how u cant leave it on more than 50,000 or it f's stuff up in the engine..idk..just what i heard.... pleazzeee just tell me which one to buy.. money dont matter i just want the BESTTT!! thanxx

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
GTI_2007RED said:
So what is the main and best company for the CHIP.. APR or REVO or EIP or any others,,i've been hearing all good things about APR and also APR stage I gets u up to 303 lbs of torque which is better than the REVO..also heard bad things with the REVO and how u cant leave it on more than 50,000 or it f's stuff up in the engine..idk..just what i heard.... pleazzeee just tell me which one to buy.. money dont matter i just want the BESTTT!! thanxx
There is no "right" answer... you can demo both revo and apr stage 1- go try both and see which one you like. I dunno about EIP, but you may want to add GIAC to your list.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
well get the APR chip and the more mods you get the higher stage you can make it. the tuning shop should upgrade the chip for you depending on new mods you put on the car... or you can get GIAC and never have to worry about stages :D it adapts to whatever you put on the car.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i noticed that at the APR site they said numbers of up to 252 hp on 93 octane...is that bhp or is that at the crank? cus i noticed that REVO claims to give 260 bhp..and im not sure about GIAC

·
Registered
158 Posts
slimGTI09 said:
i noticed that at the APR site they said numbers of up to 252 hp on 93 octane...is that bhp or is that at the crank? cus i noticed that REVO claims to give 260 bhp..and im not sure about GIAC
I was also wondering about this. I just got my 2007 GTI a couple weeks ago and have been reading pretty much everything I can find since then. The general consensus I've seen is that Revo is the most performance, APR is the least, and GIAC is somewhere in the middle.

When I look at the sites for all 3, though, APR claims the biggest gains. The numbers I see on their sites are:

REVO: 250 hp, 285 torque http://www.revotechnik.com/products/softwareProduct.aspx?pvID=625
GIAC: 218-250 hp, 257-292 torque http://www.giacusa.com/programs.php?mpid=121
APR: 252hp, 303 torque http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/ecu_upgrade_mkvgti.html

APR also claims up to 61 hp at lower rpms. It seems from this like it would be the most powerful. All three of these are just taking into account the chip, no other mods (I think). Someone let me know if I'm missing something here. Really confused about it with what I've read here and elsewhere compared to the actual numbers claimed.

·
Registered
749 Posts
slimGTI09 said:
I now find myself really wishing APR would straighten out the dyno charts they post on their website. I ran across the dyno for their intercooler which states the power is at the wheels with a Stage II setup and it looks like the peak HP with a stock intercooler is right about 220 (using the 1.15 conversion factor = ~253HP at the crank; this is awefully close to their claim for a Stage I ECU upgrade.)

To a person who's paying enough attention, it looks as if the Stage II upgrade can yield a whopping 1 or 2 HP over the Stage I, yet the intercooler upgrade (on a Stage II at least) is worth 10 peak HP.

What gives? ???

·
Registered
230 Posts
wow, how can that be possible? only 220 fwhp yet still gaining 301 lb-ft of torque?

if thats so, then would GIAC's #'s be bhp?

is it realistic that REVO, even though i realize that its the most powerful chip (at a cost), could hold a 40 bhp advantage over APR and/or GIAC?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts