Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my car back from the shop and they put in a new transmission pan (old one was scratched from the accident) which meant that they had to take the fluid out and put it back in after the install. The tranny is fine, thank god. But the guy said there's no dipstick to check the fluid level so he didn't know how much to add, other than what was already in there before replacing the pan.

So my question is: How do I check the transmission fluid level?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I would start by looking in the manual to see which thingy under the hood holds the transmission fluid and then... check it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried that, the shop lost my manual though and they're getting me another one.

But is there a thingy under the hood that checks it? If so, where? And is it colored?

·
Registered
336 Posts
:eek:...hmmm....google is a wonderful thing...don't you think. Go look for some schematics or manuals on the net...they're out there you just have to search...

·
Registered
119 Posts
DRAGON, where are you on this one Buddy?? Serious, I was thinking about my tran fluid the other day, but didn't see a thingy either. What is a thingy by BTW??

·
Registered
43 Posts
there is no dipstick for either gearbox (manual or dsg)

for the manual, the fill plug is the large triple-square socket on the side of the gearbox (looks similar to the triple-square drain plug on the bottom). the full level is equal to the base of the fill hole -so to check the fluid, or top it off, remove the fill plug and add fluid until it starts spilling out. let all the excess drain then replace the fill plug -make sure the car is level when you do this or you won't get the right amount in. the gearbox holds 2.2 liters of fluid total. if you need a triple-square socket set look on zdmak.com for cheap sets, the VW part number for the socket is 3357, i don't know what size that is but it's pretty big thatswhatshesaid. the normal check for leaks and level is 20k miles. the book doesn't recommend any change interval -personally i change mine every 80k when i do the timing belt.

the process of changing the fluid and filter for the dsg looks more involved and requires a VAG service computer in the procedure. filling is similar to the manual in that you simply fill it up until it starts to overflow. i'm guessing you don't have the dsg though since you say your mechanic replaced the "pan" and refilled it. he wouldn't have gotten that far without the VAG computer if that was the case.

hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts