Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am NOT a gearhead, as much as I wish I was at least.

Anyway, my check engine light came on and I pulled the code for "Cylinder 2 misfire". I cleared it and it didn't come on again for another week.

So now it's on and I need/should do something ...anyone had this before? common in GTIs? DIY fix? anything at all.

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is probably an obvious response, and you've probably dones this, but always start with the simplest solutions first: check the sparkplug, make sure it's gapped properly and not worn out. I beileve it only takes one misfire to trip a code, so it may as simple as that, at least we can hope.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
no, it takes multiple misfires for a code to pop:

Check:

- coil packs - swap 1 from cylinder w/cyl 4 (or 1 or 3, but I like the biggest distance), if the misfire follows the coilpack, buy new set
- plugs, swap as above
- if you have cash and both were negative, buy new plugs and coils anyways
- if nothing works, and it remains cylinder specific, it could be the injector.

Is the misfire happening at any specific driving condition? happens at idle? full throttle?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just replaced the plugs but not the coil pack, so I'll have to try the swap like you said.

Like I said before, I'm a noob. The coil pack is what I have to remove to get to the spark plug correct?

OH and to answer your question I've only felt it misfire once and it was directly after I started the engine when it was idling.

no, it takes multiple misfires for a code to pop:

Check:

- coil packs - swap 1 from cylinder w/cyl 4 (or 1 or 3, but I like the biggest distance), if the misfire follows the coilpack, buy new set
- plugs, swap as above
- if you have cash and both were negative, buy new plugs and coils anyways
- if nothing works, and it remains cylinder specific, it could be the injector.

Is the misfire happening at any specific driving condition? happens at idle? full throttle?

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Like I said before, I'm a noob. The coil pack is what I have to remove to get to the spark plug correct?
Correct. Use some masking tape and write on the tops which cylinder they came from so you don't get confused. Make sure you plugs were gapped to 0.03, google it if you don't know what I mean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts