Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a high school student with not to much money, but I want to have some fun with my 03 gti 1.8. I first thought I could put a chip in and then as I did more research, I learned the price is around the $500 range. Is there any somewhat cheap/fun projects (under $100 would be nice) to give my car a tad bit more performance.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Save up and get a chip intake exhaust downpipe and dv

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
cheapest thing you could get done right away, is buy a K&N cone filter with a 3" diameter, slap that on the MAF and you got a short ram intake, better throttle response, slightly better mileage, HP gains super minimal if you're lucky you got a few (this is always debated). This should cost you around 60 bucks for a filter at pep boys. Search this sight and vortex for ideas and suggestions, as well as answers. There are a few threads on here about putting a filter on the MAF, there is also a cheap mods thread on vortex, maybe someone can link you. Other than that you can buy some spray paint and paint some ish, i blacked out my rub strips, and my grill, suggest white bulbs for the headlights idk theres a lot of fun you can have for cheap, be creative! and congrats on the car

·
Registered
745 Posts
how much would that be
chip 400 i slapped on a ebay intake on my maf for 35 bucks took out the cold air which cost me used 140 downpipe was used came with test pipe 28 bucks exhaust i got it new 531 and dv you could get them used for like 60 bucks but thats for noise and to bring back the air when you stock one cant handle it. so maybe like 1000 something.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
A real chip will be between 500 and 600

That the best thing u can do to ur car. Save ur money and in the mean time learn to drive well.

The car will have a lot more power with the chip n I c a highschool kid getting into trouble and eacing around everywhere

Be safe

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk, bitches

·
Registered
745 Posts
A real chip will be between 500 and 600

That the best thing u can do to ur car. Save ur money and in the mean time learn to drive well.

The car will have a lot more power with the chip n I c a highschool kid getting into trouble and eacing around everywhere

Be safe

i saw i think revo or giac for 400 which i should of done instead of neuspeed =[

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk, bitches
i saw i think revo or giac for 400 which i should of done instead of neuspeed =[

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I Say chip it last thats the most cost effective thing .... that way u pay only once . get u a K&N cone filter and replace that big bulky airbox , a boost gauge , then an aftermarket diverter valve or blowoff valve , an N75 valve & , when u can get rid of the restrictive OEM exhaust ... then u can just pay one time and go straight to what most companies refer to as their stage 2 or stage 2+ chip

·
Registered
745 Posts
Very well put :) agreed

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Very well put :) agreed

O0 yeah the guy that owned my GLI kinda did it backwards ... he chipped it then did boostgauge ,coils , intake and downpipe.... wish he had just done the full turboback and then chipped it but ive got a N75 , apr TIP , and Eurojet boost gauge ready to go in , and a 42DD catless 3" turboback being made right now. then ill save up and get me a eurojet fmic ... i already talked with [email protected] and he said he could get me a race version fmic and a free boost gauge for $809 shipped

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to these forums (Just got my 2010 GTI last Friday), and it sounds like you guys are saying I should get the hardware in place before I chip it right? Just wanting to make sure. BTW I love these forums, and I love my new car!

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Yup.... u dont have to but its slightly moar efficient money wise when u do it like that

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Haha... I drive it from the dealership straight to apr dealer... Then had to go back for stg 2 and 2+... Its a2 hour drive, but if its closer to you it doesn't matter

·
Registered
732 Posts
If your budget is only $500 save $100 more and get a chip first and just leave it as Stg1... No need to do exhaust or intake before a stg 1 chip as the software will out perform the intake and turbo back exhaust on its own and is $500 cheaper.

Not understanding the logic of buying the hardware before the software. (>

My car is Stg 1 APR and I love it... No need for a loud exhaust or semi-worthless intake.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If your budget is only $500 save $100 more and get a chip first and just leave it as Stg1... No need to do exhaust or intake before a stg 1 chip as the software will out perform the intake and turbo back exhaust on its own and is $500 cheaper.

My car is Stg 1 APR and I love it... No need for a loud exhaust or semi-worthless intake.
i think what they are trying to say is if you get chipped, you might as well go stage 2, because the required mods are easy and cheap to do and its usually a good 10-20 hp more. And in order to go stage 2 most companies reqiured upgraded DV, intake, and DP. Thats the way im reading it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yeah but he doesnt have the money to go STG2... So go get chipped, if you want to go STG2 in the future its a trip to the ARP dealer and free of charge.
True, i have uni, and too reflash up a satge is 100. on a side note its funny coz he says his budget is 100 dollars so he doesnt have the money to go stage 1 either, which is funny coz everyones telling him to get chipped lol.

·
Registered
745 Posts
O0 yeah the guy that owned my GLI kinda did it backwards ... he chipped it then did boostgauge ,coils , intake and downpipe.... wish he had just done the full turboback and then chipped it but ive got a N75 , apr TIP , and Eurojet boost gauge ready to go in , and a 42DD catless 3" turboback being made right now. then ill save up and get me a eurojet fmic ... i already talked with [email protected] and he said he could get me a race version fmic and a free boost gauge for $809 shipped
damn! i need me a FMIC i got the intake boost gauge downpipe reflash short shifter that order?

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts

Yeah but he doesnt have the money to go STG2... So go get chipped, if you want to go STG2 in the future its a trip to the ARP dealer and free of charge.
i was just lookin at it if it was my car since Shelby (SMS LCC) dosent do uni or APR tunes amy more the closest uni dealer to me in way out in MD or NC so im lookin at ATLEAST a 3 hr drive either way so i dont wanna tune it and then buy a downpipe and be like o yay lets run back down to NC ....AGAIN

1 - 20 of 38 Posts