Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recommended regular maintenance intervals for my 07 GTI are much longer than what I'm used to compared with other cars. The owners manual says to change the air filter every 40K miles! :eek:

Volkswagen says to change the FUEL filter every 20K miles which is more often than the air filter. Not to mention oil and filter changes every 10K. And the first oil change at 5K!

VW may or may not be smarter than every other manufacturer but I am playing it safe by doing maintenance sooner. I did my first oil and filter change at 500 miles instead of 5,000 (to get the little bits of metal shavings out). What is your take on this?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Globalpack said:
Recommended regular maintenance intervals for my 07 GTI are much longer than what I'm used to compared with other cars. The owners manual says to change the air filter every 40K miles! :eek:

Volkswagen says to change the FUEL filter every 20K miles which is more often than the air filter. Not to mention oil and filter changes every 10K. And the first oil change at 5K!

VW may or may not be smarter than every other manufacturer but I am playing it safe by doing maintenance sooner. I did my first oil and filter change at 500 miles instead of 5,000 (to get the little bits of metal shavings out). What is your take on this?
It depends on a few things;

If your car is a daily driver and you are not going to do any mods the regular schedule is fine (except maybe the oil- I plan on doing mine every 5K).

As far as the air filter goes- it depends a lot on environmental conditions and where you drive. If you live in area with a ton of dust- it's not a bad idea to change it early or invest in a renewable filter like K&N or a BMC.

Take a look at their (BMC's) CDA:

I'd rather over-do the recomended schedule, becuase my GTI gets driven >:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dragon for your fast response. I agree oil changes should be every 5K miles but stock or not the air filter should be changed no later than 10K rather than the outrageous recommended 40K. Again, I would rather play it safe.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Globalpack said:
Again, I would rather play it safe.
Hey- if you love your car, nothing wrong with taking care of it right. :)

PM me if you want a slightly used K&N (less than 500 miles new)- I switched to a Neuspeed intake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts