Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 MKV w/ 80,000 miles
1st Gear approx 1,800 rpm as I was giving it gas in traffic. Suddenly a loud shuddering noise from the front right... and then it felt like someone hiy yhe underside of the car witha jackhammer. Engine died, the display lit up like a christmas tree. Brought it to a great dealership Kuhn in Tampa. They looked at it and said they had never seen anything like it. Car was serviced with spec oil and by two local vw dealerships. No indications what so ever that any sort of problem existed in the engine. Engine was replaced w/ a brand new one. Out of my pocket out the door for ~$6,500 w/ fuel pump and new timing belt install.

I will post a shot of the small piece that broke from the cam. BTW it is hollow! Incredible!:mad:

2011-12-21 12.36.18.jpg 2011-12-21 12.36.35.jpg 2011-12-21 12.36.55.jpg 2011-12-21 12.38.01.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Did your cam follower ever get replaced?

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
That is on the oppsite side of the engine and on a different cam. So i do not think that was the problem.

It looks like it just snapped off. At lease it was replaced

DU SCHAUST WIE EIN AUTO, NUR NICHT SO SCHNELL!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, Cam follower was replaced as it had shown wear. It wasn't related to the cam follower, cam lobe or high pressure fuel pump. The breakage took place on the opposite end of the engine and on the other cam.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Well was leaning towards the possibility of the cam follower being broken and pieces in the head caused this. Wouldn't be the first I've seen of it.

Unfortunate what happened nonetheless

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its out of warrenty, they dont have to pay for it
Regardless of whether it is out of warranty or not, this is an exceptional failure of main engine component. This isn't like a component failure i.e., a waterpump, alternator, turbo etc... this is a crafted and forged component of the engine. The metal actually failed under load.

Do you feel that a failure of this nature shouldn't be covered by VW? Yes, it's 20k miles outside of the warranty window, but really!?!?

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Regardless of whether it is out of warranty or not, this is an exceptional failure of main engine component. This isn't like a component failure i.e., a waterpump, alternator, turbo etc... this is a crafted and forged component of the engine. The metal actually failed under load.

Do you feel that a failure of this nature shouldn't be covered by VW? Yes, it's 20k miles outside of the warranty window, but really!?!?
Was there also a revision on that camshaft like the other? May wanna look into that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[cheers] Cheers everyone for the feedback. I also spoke to them about the cam follower and all metal shavings and burrs that had to go somewhere and that may have gotten into the head. Still, the dealership couldn't do anything for me. I understand they have processes. I will just go after VWoA. If that doesn't work I will call Germany. Ich spreche Deutsch. I will keep you posted as to how things are proceeding and any updates. I will also get a close-up picture of the piece that is missing from the photos. Have a great weekend!

·
Premium Member
10,066 Posts
good luck with that fight O0 ... pretty sure they r gona tell u that its outa warranty period and ur gona be stuck with a -$6500 in ur bank account ..... and unless it was an 06 or early 07 then the cams were the newer revision ones , so hopefully urs was an early 07 or very late 06 that they coded as an 07.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
Good luck man

I would take the old engine

It can be rebuilt

Tapatalk This

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Good luck man

It can be rebuilt

Tapatalk This
Rebuild rebuild rebuild rebuild. Lol

DU SCHAUST WIE EIN AUTO, NUR NICHT SO SCHNELL!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As promised here are pictures of the piece that failed at 80k miles.:mad: It did have a completely worn through cam follower, which was replaced at 60k, but not after having potentially contaminated the head with metal shaving and burs that may have affected this cam at the point where it goes through the block, seal, and connects to the gear and timing belt.

2012-01-30 14.38.54.jpg

2012-01-30 14.39.43.jpg

2012-01-30 14.37.28.jpg

2012-01-30 14.40.00.jpg

2012-01-30 14.36.35.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good luck man

It can be rebuilt

Tapatalk This
Valves and a lower engine block parts were destroyed! Rebuild was out of the question. A used VW engine was $5,700 installed w/ 53k on it. The new $6,500 with zero miles. It also had the early revision and have receieved the warranty extension notice for the cam lobe, follower, and hpfp. Still told it couldn't have caused this as it's on the opposite side of the engine. I will post my cam follower pic too.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Metal in the engine = problematic regardless of where it's located

·
is Afraid of the Dyno
3,504 Posts
Well, the valves obviously shyt the bed when the intake cam does. Still, that's a pretty catastrophic failure. I would have asked for a damned TSI engine as a replacement.
And Wilson is a wise man. You paid for an engine, save the broken one and STROKE IT... somehow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A "late reply" granted, but I just came across this post. Looks like metal fatigue of the cam itself and not debris in the engine caused this failure. I'd bet on either too tight a cam belt (not sure if the tensioner system on a FSI allows that ...) or runout at either the end of the cam that is driven by the belt, or in the pulley itself. Broke right where you'd expect it to - at the stress riser that the indentation creates. Likely would have done the same thing whether this cam were hollow (at it obviously is) or solid. Don't like the looks of the "pickup" on the bearing adjacent to this failure either. Bummer either way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts