Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a carbon fiber hood after winter is up and i was trying to find out where the best place to get one would be and about how much it would cost. Also is the installation easy such as just undoing some bolts and what not or is it more involved than that. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I know nothing about this, but pass on the cost and the weight save to the rest of us. If there is enough weight save, i may consider as well.

I don't see why it would be anything more than a few bolts to change out like you said.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I got a reply from Seibon and they say their GTI CF hood weighs around 100-110 lbs, so now if someone would just take their stock hood off and weigh it, we can end the "how much weight can I save?" question.

As for how easy it is to change a hood; it's not so difficult that you should be dissuaded from doing it yourself. However, it's not as simple as 'bolts out, hood off, hood on, bolts in.' You have to be careful when closing the hood for the first time. It's one thing to put the same old hood back on because you can line up the bolt heads in the original marks. With a new hood, there is a little play in the bolt holes to make the alignment work right. I recommend lining the edges of the hood opening with some sort of durable fabric to prevent paint chips when you close it. Also, don't slam the hood closed like my dumb a$$ did the first time I reinstalled a hood. You may get lucky and have it right off the bat, but don't be surprised if you have to reopen and realign a few times. Good luck though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It doesn't have to look like carbon fiber. the outside can be painted too. I just wanted to know if the guys who found them, noticed what they looked like. I don't like the carbon fiber look.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm with United. I do like the idea of saving weight wherever it's practical, but don't like the "carbon fiber look." Good news is that parts molded in carbon fiber can be painted just like anything else. Manufacturers will usually paint CF with a gelcoat-type paint which tends to be very heavy for paint, but not a signicficant addition to the 100# weight of a hood. Aside from that, with a little care in preparation, you should be able to paint CF body parts with any automotive paint.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i think i might get a carbon hood after winter too.. Still looking around trying to figure out which one i wanna get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
I got a reply from Seibon and they say their GTI CF hood weighs around 100-110 lbs, so now if someone would just take their stock hood off and weigh it, we can end the "how much weight can I save?" question.
I'm going to have to call BS on that weight. I can tell you that a steel Ford Taurus hood weighs 55 lbs and a CF cowl hood for the same car is 18 lbs.

·
Registered
749 Posts
07BMGTI said:
BlueFrogPosse said:
I'm going to have to call BS on that weight. I can tell you that a steel Ford Taurus hood weighs 55 lbs and a CF cowl hood for the same car is 18 lbs.
I'm planning on waiting until someone makes a better part too, or find a custom fabricator. It almost seems like Seibon took a steel hood and lined it with CF just for the look. They also say their door skins weight from 51-61 lbs. Compared to the hood weight, I can only imagine that is literally just the skin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts