Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals!! Check this out!! I found this guy in Bryn Mawr, PA who does custom Carbon Fiber Interior pieces. Totally one-of-a-kind custom. The quality of his work is absolutely unbelivable!! Crisp and clean all the way! Check out some of the pics from his website, especially of the 3000GT dash!

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Spool- you from Philly? My Uncle used to teach at a lil university right around the corner from Bryn Mwar.

So what would he charge us for a CF dash for a MkV if a few of us were interested? >:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dunno. I've talked to him a few times and asked him about a few Ideas for the MKV. I've asked him to do the piece above the dash (that piece above the sandwiched between the dash and the windshield) Tell you what....not cheap. Like 325.00 not cheap! But i've personally seen these pieces for other cars.....it's well worth the money! As far as a dash, you want me to post his companies website and contact info?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Mr. Spool said:
Dunno. I've talked to him a few times and asked him about a few Ideas for the MKV. I've asked him to do the piece above the dash (that piece above the sandwiched between the dash and the windshield) Tell you what....not cheap. Like 325.00 not cheap! But i've personally seen these pieces for other cars.....it's well worth the money! As far as a dash, you want me to post his companies website and contact info?
Well, if he makes a few of them the price should come down :) $325 isn't bad.

I've been waiting for the OSIR stereo/vent cover and so far no news :(

·
Registered
211 Posts
*Vomit...I hate carbon fiber for some reason, I would never put it on my car. i think it takes away from the car when you start putting it in the inside. The hood is fine but the inside yukkk

·
Registered
842 Posts
I send a lot of my day, and time, figuring out how to put materials together. You have to understand the material in order to use it properly. I think carbon fiber is amazing as a structural component. I know structural materials get used as accents all the time, but they often have inherent beauty (such as aluminum or stainless steel). Carbon fiber doesn't have that appeal to me. I like it when its used in it's highest and best use - for applications requiring strength and light weight. I would have the same problem if it was an all aluminum dash - conceptually it is all wrong. My two cents.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
uncle dude said:
I send a lot of my day, and time, figuring out how to put materials together. You have to understand the material in order to use it properly. I think carbon fiber is amazing as a structural component. I know structural materials get used as accents all the time, but they often have inherent beauty (such as aluminum or stainless steel). Carbon fiber doesn't have that appeal to me. I like it when its used in it's highest and best use - for applications requiring strength and light weight. I would have the same problem if it was an all aluminum dash - conceptually it is all wrong. My two cents.
What's your opinion on Carbon/Kevlar matrix? (not for looks, but for strength).?

I'm the type of person who would buy a C/F hood and paint it. ;D The only time someone can tell it's C/F would be when I pop the bonnet. >:D

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
Dragon said:
What's your opinion on Carbon/Kevlar matrix? (not for looks, but for strength).?
High strength, low weight, and good resistance to abrasion and puncture. Kevlar has a lower modulus so would make a structural piece heavier than pure CF.
But the carbon/Kevlar is resistant to catastrophic failure, inherent with pure carbon fibre. (better for a hood and body parts)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Dragon said:
BlueFrogPosse said:
Dragon said:
High strength, low weight, and good resistance to abrasion and puncture. Kevlar has a lower modulus so would make a structural piece heavier than pure CF.
But the carbon/Kevlar is resistant to catastrophic failure, inherent with pure carbon fibre. (better for a hood and body parts)
Less brittle?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
Dragon said:
BlueFrogPosse said:
Dragon said:
Less brittle?
Woven Kevlar would allow taking a sharp hit. Think body armor for example. It's like playing with wet sand down at the beach. You can easily stick your finger in the sand, but if you punch it (or run on it) it remains hard. The CF/K would be less brittle and hold up better to say rock hits and door thumps.

Here is a great example of what brittle and catostrophic failure are at the same time (however this is fibreglass):

I was trying to find the video of the F117 with a catastrophic failure of it's wing. :-\

1 - 20 of 22 Posts