Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if/when a bra will be coming out for the MkV? I can't bear the thought of some 18 wheeler kicking up some crap on my new baby.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally I would agree with you 100% - I've made fun of these for years, but on a Black Magic with tint, I think it would look cool and be functional at the same time. I'll look into the 3M option though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10bv01 said:
that doesnt look half bad, in fact it looks kinda cool.
Agreed, it does look pretty good. I want that kind of protection for the entire grill section.

·
Registered
128 Posts
the clear bra is completely un-noticable (sp) if applied correctly and protect very well. i have heard stories of the bra's messing up the paint because it doesnt get the same sunlight, so when it comes off the paint doesnt match

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know, I never even considered that, but it makes total sense. Color me a 3M convert.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would also go for a clear bra then for a ugly black one that totally doesn't match up with the colour of your car.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
i heard if you dont wax your car with the bra on it the bra can make your paint fade away. So make sure you take car of the bra and clean it every month.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
blackgti06 said:
i heard if you dont wax your car with the bra on it the bra can make your paint fade away. So make sure you take car of the bra and clean it every month.
I don't think I follow - are you saying to remove the 3m film each time you wax your car? Is there something about the adhesive that erodes the paint over time unless you have wax protecting it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think he's talking about the traditional bra. The pleather/vinyl ones need a little protection underneath them to keep them from rubbing the paint. They move around enough to grind any dirt right into the paint they're supposed to protect.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
NO the clear one. My cuz his friend has it on his 350z and he said you have to clean the bra every month. But im not sure about taking it off. Also after a year or to your paint may fade a little do to the bra. Thats what i was told.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, maybe it's not all that worth it, then. If the very paint you're trying to protect will likely get the same level, but different type, of damage with vs without the bra, then screw it. :-\

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey i am debating getting the 3m clear bra protection for my GTI, but what has everyone else paid for it so far? I have seen a couple people with it so far and just wondering what you all paid for it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 3M clear bra on my GTI, and on my 04 Passat. I have had no problems on either. You can only really notice them if you look real closely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts