Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, liking the forums so far.. So much information! Well, here goes:

I have a 2009 GTI, two door, and I'd like to swap out some audio, maybe make it better. I feel the factory sound is killer after throwing in a Pioneer in-dash nav, but the sound it's 'loud enough'. I'm looking for higher quality here. I then purchased the following:

-2-pair 6 1/2" Polks
-4 channel Polk amp
-1 Audiobahn 12" SE sub
-1 channel Polk amp
-And of course all the fixings to get them powered and sounding nice.

My question is, are the internal speakers already amp'd? I know there are a little sub in both doors, so I'm just assuming. I'd think if they are, just replacing the factory speakers and tossing the sub in would make all the difference I'm looking for.. No? Just sell/return the 4 channel and accessories then.. Appreciate any replies.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
First post, liking the forums so far.. So much information! Well, here goes:

I have a 2009 GTI, two door, and I'd like to swap out some audio, maybe make it better. I feel the factory sound is killer after throwing in a Pioneer in-dash nav, but the sound it's 'loud enough'. I'm looking for higher quality here. I then purchased the following:

-2-pair 6 1/2" Polks
-4 channel Polk amp
-1 Audiobahn 12" SE sub
-1 channel Polk amp
-And of course all the fixings to get them powered and sounding nice.

My question is, are the internal speakers already amp'd? I know there are a little sub in both doors, so I'm just assuming. I'd think if they are, just replacing the factory speakers and tossing the sub in would make all the difference I'm looking for.. No? Just sell/return the 4 channel and accessories then.. Appreciate any replies.
personally i think the factory system in the GTI is already great, but the only thing missing is a little more bass. so i would just get the sub and amp to power it. no need for different speakers

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you're looking for something to tear your face off and sound amazing in doing so, you better be planning on amping your speakers as well as have a separate sub with its own amp. You'll probably want to get some component speakers and not just 2 or 3-way speakers.

You can always just do sub and amp to see if that satisfies your cravings. Just depends on what you're looking for man. Play with it. Try the sub/amp first and see if you still need to upgrade.

·
Registered
34 Posts
personally i think the factory system in the GTI is already great, but the only thing missing is a little more bass. so i would just get the sub and amp to power it. no need for different speakers
agreed. speakers great just need some low end.

·
Registered
109 Posts
same here. hook up the sub and amp, turn the bass down on the head unit and just use the interior speakers for mids and highs, then adjust the gain and level on the sub's amp accordingly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the opinions. I've decided to sell the speakers and amp I purchased, keeping the factory interior speakers and amping a sub. One more thing I was thinking of... That factory AUX in the center console, I recall that being a proprietary connector to the factory deck, no? If it is, has anyone rewired it to RCA preouts? Since I'm not using the second set of RCA's, I'd like to wire the hidden factory AUX. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
89 Posts
You wanna use this as an input to your stereo?
If so, pre-outs won't work. They'll need to be inputs.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Link didn't work for me, not sure if it's not working completely. I wouldn't presume you will be getting the factory iPod hookup to work for you unless you bought some type of wire dongle that allowed you to specifically use the VW hookups--allowing you to use steering wheel controls, ipod integration, etc.
If you bought any recent deck you should have some type of auxiliary input or ipod hookup that comes with it. I don't know what you're getting at with RCA preouts. Pre-outs are for output (i.e. amplifier use), not input. An iPod hookup would be in input into the deck. If you have two sets of pre-outs from your deck it's because it's meant for multiple amplifiers (as you probably know since you bought an amp for main speakers). Maybe you know all of this and I'm just insulting you but I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say if that's the case.

EDIT: I pulled up the model you bought. It already has the iPod hookup, you should probably sell your factory iPod integration and use the one that came with the Pioneer. It has absolutely nothing to do with RCA pre-outs. It comes with the 30 pin cable--just use this. If you want it hidden in the center console, you'll need to wire it accordingly and replace factory wiring or find some way to combine the wires (not something I would do.)
Personally, I'd have the cable out in the open but easily concealable. I hate the hidden feature of the iPod in the center console as it takes away from using an iPhone with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
@Jus10

Not insulting at all, link worked for me again, but no worries. I bought the Pioneer SPH-DA100 (AppRadio2). I mis-spoke when I mentioned using pre-outs for input lol. I believe the deck has an input on the back, but I'd rather cut and splice, or somehow fabricate the audio jack to route where the existing AUX is in the GTI.. I tried getting aftermarket steering wheel controls, but these components didn't send information to the new deck I have =/, returned it. I essentially have this deck, got the new iPhone 5 and cannot use the features because Apple swapped to the new 'lightning adapter'.. rendering my deck useless! I just want quick sounds with AUX, until (if) Pioneer releases a new cable, or Apple makes the adapter available.

EDIT: I currently have that iPod connector running to the glove box.. Even when I get the new adapter or cable with lightning option, I'd like to still get the factory AUX working again. Someone out there has to have rigged it like this lol. Thanks!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I checked the link again and I get a nearly blank page that says : The request page doesn't exist. Please double check to make sure you have the correct URL.

Oh well. Anyway... I've dealt with www.crutchfield.com about getting the adapter that hooks right up to factory wiring harness which will allow you to use steering wheel controls--hopefully that'll help you. Also, hop on ebay for a 30-pin to lighting adapter, should be able to pick one up for somewhat cheap, especially in the future as they become more common.

You may not want to use the iphone 5 in the center console anyway because it's too tall. The standard iphone is a little too tall and you'll have issues shutting the cover. Not sure about rigging that up for the factory aux since that's what you ultimately want. Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The link doesn't work when clicked because the last parenthesis isn't included in the clickable part. But if you add the ) to the URL the page will come up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts