Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Cant touch me

5K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  TurboCheddar 
#1 ·
My inner fast gets mad when I drive at what I deam to be a reasonable highway speed and when we fly past a civic or eclipse in the most recent case (not even Si or GTS) and they decide they can follow me. This ammuses my fast but pisses him off because they even think they could keep up with him. So my fast MAKES me push my foot down that extra little bit to send the RPM's up to around 4k in 5th and leave the pursuer in the dust wondering what I have under the hood and (most likeley) trying to explain to their passenger that I had clearly been heavily modded or used nitrous or something to make themselves feel better.
By the way just so you know my fast lives in an 05 1.8T and all I have done is a 93 octane chip... my fast is very envious of his 2.0T brothers and wants one after college.

#2 ·
Your fast sounds just fine to me...I never knew I had such a serious fast deep down in side. I, like you, love to follow your Si/SVT/BMW/Eclipse on this particular mountain road with them zooming along trying to leave me, then we come to this one particular right hand turn that is a "Slow to 25" type of turn, usually we are hitting it at 40+, then there is this uphill straight away...I am in 3rd already and put it to the floor up to 5000+ rpm and then into 4th and I just drop them like a rock ;D

What a cool feeling....never, ever have I had this much fun driving!

#4 ·
vwgti20v said:
redrocket said:
....never, ever have I had this much fun driving!
and that, my friend is what it's all about!
You push your left foot in, you let your right foot out, you push the shifter in and you slowly clutch out, you do the hokey pokey and you balance them out... thats how you launch your car...

OK. THAT, was horrible. But if the car is fun, then good ;D.

P.S. Whoa. Just realized how old this thread was (I was checking everything I haven't looked at yet, and I'm too lazy to delete it all yet I typed all this... I'll stop now.)

#12 ·
not to talk **** but i would rather have a single turbo over twins any day. unless there 2 small turbos but not twin tt4's or anythign like that
do you even know why a vehicle has twin turbos?

#14 ·
I know , at least in trucks not sure about this case in particular, that there is a smaller turbo that helps to spool up the larger turbo, which can provide more boost with less lag, really not sure if this is the purpose on cars or not, hope this helps a little

#15 ·
I know , at least in trucks not sure about this case in particular, that there is a smaller turbo that helps to spool up the larger turbo, which can provide more boost with less lag, really not sure if this is the purpose on cars or not, hope this helps a little
Oh.. that makes a lot of sense. O0

It seems like with a bigger turbo and no smaller turbo to spool it.. it would take longer.
Good information. I wonder if it's the same in the application TTB was thinking about.

#21 ·
OK- The twin charger is using a SC for low end and a turbo for the end of boost- VW is or may be using it on some of the new TDIs.

Comprex... I'll give you a hint- it's not in wikipedia and it was last used in a production car (AFAIK) in a Mazda 2.0L sedan.

#23 ·
ttboost all ive heard about twins has been on the supras and they have 2 big turbos (mainly show cars) and they lag so bad that when the revs are about out the turbo has just full spooled. i don't know if thats correct but i trust the guy that told me this so thats what i stand behind right or not. but is that right and wouldn't it be better to have just one so you don't get heatsoaked. and wouldn't you have to have a giant fmic to keep them both cool or do they stay cooler because they help each other???

#24 · (Edited)
The comprex is sort of a hybrid between a turbo and a supercharger. The system uses either power from a pulley (like on the Mazda unit below) or electrical force to spool the unit up at low RPMs, then uses exhaust gas to power the blades once up to speed to provide boost.

Opel also had their version:

Anyone familiar with DEI? Direct Exhaust Injection?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.