Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I Can't Lock my Driver's Door from the door-lock switch on that door. It will lock from the remote and from the other door. Any ideas? I'm sure its a "convenience" setting I've screwed up.

thanks,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Are u trying to lock the door from the inside switch when your door is open. Because if you are, it wont lock if your door is open its a lock out feature. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, thats exactly what I'm trying to do. So, if I want to lock my car when I get out of it, I have to do it from the remote??? That seems a little silly. I can't lock my own car as I'm getting out? Hmm? Any option for changing this? What if my remote dies suddenly? ...I just can' t lock my Drivers side door?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kids these days.. lost with out their remotes.
If your remote dies, you can do it the old fashioned way.
1. Close the door
2. Stick your key in the lock
3. Turn key clock wise.
4. (Optional) Hold key down if you want it to roll up the windows and close the moon roof.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seriously; how much sense does this make. Don't get me wrong, I love my GTI, but how much sense does it make that my passenger can lock us both out of my car as he/she gets out, but I can't, as the driver, lock my own car as I'm exiting? Hmm. Oh well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTfly said:
well its better then locking yer keys in the ignition by accident.
...something I haven't done since I was 16. ...even without this crazy feature.

However, the passenger can still lock me out of my own car. This is what I don't understand. When my passenger gets out, he/she can hit the lock button and lock us both out.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I've been driving VWs and Audis all my life and they've always had something preventing you from locking the drivers side door while open (even my '88 Jetta just wouldn't let you push the knob down). To me it makes no sense that some car manufacturers still make cars that allow you to lock yourself out. It just becomes routine to exit vehicle, close door and hit remote lock while walking away (to reassuring beep of horn).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thalo said:
I've been driving VWs and Audis all my life and they've always had something preventing you from locking the drivers side door while open (even my '88 Jetta just wouldn't let you push the knob down). To me it makes no sense that some car manufacturers still make cars that allow you to lock yourself out. It just becomes routine to exit vehicle, close door and hit remote lock while walking away (to reassuring beep of horn).
This is what I don't understand though. If the goal is to prevent getting locked out of your car, then why have the passenger side doorlock functional? If the passenger 'accidently' hits the lock button on her/his door, then all the doors lock right? Why give the passenger this control but deny the driver of the car this control?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
a) more often than not there is no passenger, just you driving (at least in most circumstances)

b) I think the passenger power lock also doesn't lock the drivers side door if it's open. But yeah, i see this as the only way to possibly lock yourself out: you leave keys in the car, exit, shut door, passenger leaves, hits door lock, closes door. Well, if it ever happens you've got that roadside assistance number you can call.... if it only weren't with the manual in the glovebox... locked in the car...

I think the goal of this is to prevent the most common type of locking keys in the car. Driver leaves keys in car, opens door, locks it, closes it.

I know you might have driven some american or japanese car before that allowed you to hit the door lock as you exit the vehicle and this just became routine for you. It was routine on my mom's old Caravan and she locked herself out at least a couple of times. Now, think of the VW door lock as having an entirely different function. The button is barely ever used, it's actually more of an indicator that your door is locked. If you want to leave the vehicle you don't need to hit the button to unlock, you just pull the door knob. The only time you will ever need to touch the button is if you're picking someone up. The doors will be locked, as they always are when the car is moving, and you will need ot hit the door lock button to unlock the passenger door. That's the only time you should ever need to use the button.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.