Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm looking at joining the gti owner's club, but was looking for a bit of info to help make it less financially painful. I'd like to get a 4dr gti w/ dsg and rear airbag, but I'm not sure what a good price would be. Does anybody know what the invoice price is or have any other info on what would be a good offer?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, I was in a very simliar situation as you were, trying to find the best price for the best car, obviously the GTI was the choice I made so I did as much research as possible. I subscribed to www.carcostcanada and here is what they CURRENTLY state.

Retail Price* Wholesale Price**
Base $31,395.00 $28,957.00
Freight $715.00 $715.00
Optional equipment selected
- PDI CHARGE *PDI amount may vary - see local dealer for more information* (-STDPDI) $545.00 $545.00
- FEDERAL AIR CONDITIONING EXCISE TAX (-EXTAX) $100.00 $100.00
- BLACK LEATHER SEAT TRIM (REQ: PG4 Luxury Leather Pkg) (T_) $0.00 $0.00
- SOLID PAINT (STD) (-PT) $0.00 $0.00
- LUXURY LEATHER PKG -inc: pwr sunroof, top sport seats w/leather seating surfaces (PG4) $2,580.00 $2,370.00
- 18" ALLOY WHEELS -inc: all-season tires *Late Availability* (PKZ) $900.00 $791.00
Totals including all items above $36,235.00 $33,478.00

Sorry I don't have your exact configuration as this was the one that I was looking for, however I went a totally different route to save even more to get stuff I could not get in Canada. I purchased mine in the states. So here is the summary of what I paid and what I got:

I paid a final total of $37, 350.00 Canadian, (everything included, Taxes, Duty, frieght AC Tax, etc). I got the following:

Brand New 2007 4-Door Red GTI
Package 2 (Moonroof, Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control)
DSG Transmission
Body Kit (Front Lip, Side Skirts and rear Valance)
18" Wheels with Summer Performance Tires
SAT Radio (with 3 months of Sirus Free)
and as a bonus, mine actually came with Headlight washers which I really was looking for, unfortunately I don't have Launch Control, I believe mine was a late 2006, but cool with me.

To give you an idea of how much I saved, it would have been $43, 000.00 (with taxes, freight, etc.). That was a calgary dealership, but then again, they were charging $4,000.00 just for the body kit. I also wouldn't get my Dual zone Auto Climate Control in Canada and most 4-door 2007 GTI don't have headlight washers.

The only real issue is that the KM on the speedo are in small letters, but that's minor and I had to obtain fianancing through my parents to get the money since you can't lease from the states. Also banks don't like to give you money for a car loan if they know it is being bought in the USA. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Canadian invoice?$

Thanks so much for the reply.
I would assume the 'wholesale price' is the equivalent of invoice, so there's probably no chance of talking my dealer down from it. I was hoping to get into 4 dr for under $30k (to keep the wife happy!) but it doesn't look like that will happen. Did you happen to see if there were any factory-to-dealer incentives or other rebates that could drop my offer price? My fast is telling me the GTI is the car for me, but with a wife and two kids, I need to keep the cost as low as possible. I figured that since the '08s were going to be coming soon, they might be fire-selling the '07s.
I was also wondering what kind of duty you had to pay on your car, and whether VW will honour the warranty up here.

Cheers!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey GTIFan,

You'll probably get more off on an 07, but due to the high demand of this car, it really depends on where you buy it. Here is the current incentives that carcostcanada lists:

Incentive Type Value Term Expiry
Cash Incentives
Graduate Program $500.00 0 8/31/2007
Finance Program
Retail Finance 6.9% 24 8/31/2007
Retail Finance 6.9% 36 8/31/2007
Retail Finance 6.9% 48 8/31/2007
Retail Finance 6.9% 60 8/31/2007
Retail Finance 6.9% 66 8/31/2007
Lease Program
Lease Rate 6.9% 36 8/31/2007
Lease Rate 6.9% 48 8/31/2007

Here is my breakdown of my price for my car:

$30,050 USA -> convert to Canada was $32, 585 Canadian (that day of exchange), could have saved $1500 if I bought today with the dollar being higher.

6.0% GST at the Border + 6.1% Duty + $100 AC Tax = $4, 100.06 paid at the Border

$206 for the RIV fee

$150 for the Canadian Tire Inspection

That's it dude.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oh, just wanted to mention that one dealer in the States called me back and notified me that they didnt' have what I wanted but they had the following:

2-Door GTI 2006, DSG, Moonroof and the 18" wheels, brand new. I calculated the cost it would have been $30,100 Canadian, all said and done (taxes, freight, duty, AC tax, etc) and that was without negotiating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Buying in U.S.

Hey again.

Another question, if ya don't mind: What did you do about warranties Â- does vw honour them across north-america or did you buy third party/just take your chances?
Any other advice or impressions about buying in the US would be most appreciated. Also wondering who you bought from.

Cheers!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Re: Buying in U.S.

gtifan said:
Hey again.

Another question, if ya don't mind: What did you do about warranties Â- does vw honour them across north-america or did you buy third party/just take your chances?
Any other advice or impressions about buying in the US would be most appreciated. Also wondering who you bought from.

Cheers!
I am curious about the warranties as well, and am considering canceling my Canadian order and going south. Some brands penalize dealers that sell to people in other countries, but I guess VW doesn't. The cdn dollar was .95 yesterday - wow. That would definitely save some bucks, but there is a lot more hassle involved. Here are some questions:

* did you look into the warranty issue?
* did you have to pay to register the car?
* did you have to modify it in anyway to make it suit the standards here?

Thanks GTI_07

·
Registered
81 Posts
Warranty was my FIRST Concern, I called VW and they said there was no issue, warranty is transferable from USA to Canada. I tried to get them to send me a letter to have in writing, but they said it was already stated in manual. From what I read it looks true. Trust me, the warranty was my first issue. I'll verify that since I'm going in on July 31st to do some TSB work. So for it doesn't seem like a problem.

As for paying to register the car, you have to do the Federal Inspection (which is free, or technically you paid through it to RIV to obtain FORM 2). You then have to do the out of province inspection (~$150) which I performed at Canadian Tire along with the Federal Inspection. Then you can go register the car as if it was originally from Alberta.

Good thing about the GTI is it meets all the Canadian Requirements, I past my Federal and Out of Province Inspection without any issues. The key was the GTI had Daylight Running Lights (which most USA cars don't) and Child Tether Anchors (which most cars do now). Simple, will definetly do it again.

Interestingly enough, some guy from LACOME, Alberta called me because he got my number from the sales man who sold me the GTI. He just bought a Tourag and saved $10 G's. That's not pocket change. I just finished documenting my whole process, if anybody is interested I can send you my step by step experience.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oh BTW,

The person I dealt with was great, his name was Allan from 4Seasons Motors in Missoula. This is the only place I would recommend in Montana. I dealt with a dealership from GreatFalls and they were really rude. Didn't like them at all, they seemed to force the issue that they were the only ones that deal with Canadians. If you want his number, I can provide that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry, the Number that I was refering to was 4Season Motors, you can also go to http://www.4seasonsmotors.com/ to get the number, but it's 1-800-800-6569, remember to ask for Allan. He provided all the papers that I needed and found the exact car I want, plus he's pretty good to negotiate. If you do, go with him, tell him that Kevin Chiu refer you. I get referal money for it. I didn't get it last time for the guy in Lacome who bought the tourage even though I sent him my step by step document. Oh well, need money to pay for my winter tires.

·
Registered
842 Posts
VW_GTI_07 said:
Warranty was my FIRST Concern, I called VW and they said there was no issue, warranty is transferable from USA to Canada. I tried to get them to send me a letter to have in writing, but they said it was already stated in manual. From what I read it looks true. Trust me, the warranty was my first issue. I'll verify that since I'm going in on July 31st to do some TSB work. So for it doesn't seem like a problem.

As for paying to register the car, you have to do the Federal Inspection (which is free, or technically you paid through it to RIV to obtain FORM 2). You then have to do the out of province inspection (~$150) which I performed at Canadian Tire along with the Federal Inspection. Then you can go register the car as if it was originally from Alberta.

Good thing about the GTI is it meets all the Canadian Requirements, I past my Federal and Out of Province Inspection without any issues. The key was the GTI had Daylight Running Lights (which most USA cars don't) and Child Tether Anchors (which most cars do now). Simple, will definetly do it again.

Interestingly enough, some guy from LACOME, Alberta called me because he got my number from the sales man who sold me the GTI. He just bought a Tourag and saved $10 G's. That's not pocket change. I just finished documenting my whole process, if anybody is interested I can send you my step by step experience.
I would love the step by steps, I sent you a PM with my email - thanks this is extremely helpful.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just took my car into Norden and they said everything that I wanted done should be covered under warrant. So doesn't seem like there are any issues. I'm also getting the trial REVO software upgrade. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks to ziffer99, he helped me enable a few things using VAGCOM. My GTI now has

Coming Home and Leaving Home Features
My fog Lights as the DRL instead of the xenons
Controlling my windows from my remote

I just ordered a set of 9006 LED SMT bulbs as well, hopefully they'll produce a nice white light for my DRL's.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just got mine in the US, in Columbus Ohio.

Driving it back across the border at Sarnia tomorrow nite and then heading home to Toronto.

·
Registered
85 Posts
WTF????

That wasn't there when I purchased the car...the was no mention of the the 2008 GTI at all.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[help]

Any one know what to do? Is there any way around this... PLEASE

·
Registered
842 Posts
Those bastards. That's why they lowered it, turned off the DRL's, etc - all to make it not admissible to Canada. There is going to be a consumer revolt in this country real soon. On top of that, VW has the nerve to raise the cost of the car - VW Canada is enjoying a windfall due to the dollar. :mad:

·
Registered
85 Posts
that's the issue apparently RIV said it's UNMODIFIABLE to conform to Canadian Standards...BULLSHIT....the only thing that changed is lowering of the ride...other than that it's been cosmetic and my car has DRLs

I hate Canadian Gov't Agencies.

·
Registered
842 Posts
DAS FAST said:
that's the issue apparently RIV said it's UNMODIFIABLE to conform to Canadian Standards...BULLS#*t....the only thing that changed is lowering of the ride...other than that it's been cosmetic and my car has DRLs

I hate Canadian Gov't Agencies.
So what is the next step?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.