Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I stand directly in front of my engine bay and look down,
I see this

Can somebody tell me what this is? And if that corrosion will eventually make my car explode or something? lol.
-2002 1.8T

·
Registered
440 Posts
some nasty gunk you should clean

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
links fixed! Damn, I tried to fix them before anybody read the thread. lol.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Okay, I see it. Just clean it up and see if it comes off. Could just be gunk like the other guy said.

Edit: it's all good haha, we're fast here. Or I atleast try to be.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
uh. i was kinda wondering if anybody knew what cable that is and what it's connected to. or if that info is even worth knowing?
i'm almost 100% sure that the "gunk" is "gunk" and needs to be cleaned off. lol.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
1.8T had oil cooler problems with the seal going bad on the cooler to block side

my cousin had to do it on his 1.8T B5 which is much harder to do on those cars

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is your oil "cooler" coolant runs thru that hose. it looks like that hose was leaking or the housing was cracked at one point and someone used some crap to ghetto rig it. I would remove the hose and replace it after cleaning that mess, and inspect the housing for any leaks
how would i go about removing/replacing that hose? ???

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
do you see that clamp in the picture? take a long pair of pliers and squeeze the 2 tabs together and work the clamp off away from the oil cooler, then find the other end of the hose and do the same, pull the hose off and replace with new hose (put the clamps on the hose before you push them on the nipples) then squeeze the clamps again and move them up to where they are near the end of the hose clamping the hose on.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
not trying to look like a dumbass...but where would i get that specific hose and what size would i get?

·
Registered
963 Posts
take a portion of it to Advance auto parts. they may be able to match it....let me know how it does for you. ive noticed random oil drops in that area of my gti but when i check my oil level its in same area o_O?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
That's aflux capacitor hose connector, you won't be able to ddt bacj to 1996 without it!

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
you can just buy a roll of heater hose

·
Registered
10 Posts
For about $35 you ca get that hose from one of the online shops like ECS.

Or you can do what I did. Take it off take it to Advanced Auto and find a $10 that matches almost identically.
NOTE that the two hoses are attached. You can cut them apart.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found out the hose is no more than a foot long. I'll have that replaced when I replace my valve cover gasket.
Once ECS actually ships it to me :mad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts