Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
:eek:

Wow, if that really works, then I just might have to save up a little for my first mod.

If anyone knows anything about this thing, anything at all, don't hesitate to share it with me!

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
I want to know to...I want to get my car chipped but can't have my car not running for a couple of days while they flash my ECU.

Do you just have to plug this one in? and it flashes your ECU at home???

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
HoldDaMayo said:
how the hell did they manage to get 202hp at the wheels of a stock GTI... that's like 20HP too high.
Stock with a chip? 202 at the wheels wouldn't be too far off.

To the other posters above:

You get your ECU flashed by a GIAC dealer, the flash loader is a device that allows you to switch between programs.

Revo has a similar device for the MkV, but it still requires a software (flash) upgrade to the ECU.
Similar to the model below;

^^^ That's an SPS2- you need an SPS select or a SelectPlus. The plus model allows you to make three of your own custom maps.

IIRC Both the GIAC and Revo also have "kill" features, which allow you to disable the ECU so NO ONE can start your car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Um... "stock with a chip" sounds like an oxymoron to me...

Stock means zero modifications... and no, 202hp at the wheels isn't close to a stock GTI. It's about 10% off... a pretty big diff.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dragon said:
HoldDaMayo said:
how the hell did they manage to get 202hp at the wheels of a stock GTI... that's like 20HP too high.
Stock with a chip? 202 at the wheels wouldn't be too far off.

To the other posters above:

You get your ECU flashed by a GIAC dealer, the flash loader is a device that allows you to switch between programs.

Revo has a similar device for the MkV, but it still requires a software (flash) upgrade to the ECU.
Similar to the model below;

^^^ That's an SPS2- you need an SPS select or a SelectPlus. The plus model allows you to make three of your own custom maps.

IIRC Both the GIAC and Revo also have "kill" features, which allow you to disable the ECU so NO ONE can start your car.
Thanks Dragon, 1 more question, does my ecu need to be removed initally?

·
Registered
573 Posts
The device pictured below plugs into your car under the dash on the drivers side. A pig tail plugs into that device, and into a PC and it is flashed from there. the mention of removing the ECU might have been in the APR post, and that is what they told me I would have to do to get their flash since I was not close to them.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Question for anyone that flashed.  What was the gain for stock to flash: REVO, GIAC, APR?  Felt like more of a gain than to 202 to me.  Claims are between 40 and 50 depending on where you are in the curve. My ESP tells me that 22350 will be the first to respond.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Please make your new thread titles more pnuemonic. "Can anyone give me information on this?" does not allow anyone to search, or to weed out topics they are not interested in. Can you go back and change it now? Make it something like "Horsepower Gains from Flash Only"

·
Registered
556 Posts
Wait, so I would have to get my GTI chipped first, then use that? Doh, that's not what I was looking for... I wanted a plug n' play, though I guess it will be a while before that comes around.

·
Registered
606 Posts
WaZzAp1101 said:
Any dyno results yet?
I posted my dyno results in my own thread here. The problem is that I had to reset the ecu 1 week prior to getting it dyno'd because one of my silicone hoses from the FMIC came loose. Currently, all companies that make flashes have a shortcoming when it comes to this (resetting the ecu, that is). It flips the program into "vallet" mode = stock settings (the program is still there, but the settings are stock). The only way to get the settings back is if you have a flashloader (which I just bought), or take it to the shop to have the settings put back on.

So my dyno results were lower than I expected and that is how I found all this out. I called the place where I got my ecu flashed with Revo, and the guy over there, Patrick, was the one who told me all this. He said though, that Revo will be the first company to remedy this problem next month when they release their update flashes (which everyone who has Revo already will be able to get the update at no extra cost).

So without the Revo, I ran 226whp/277ft-lb. I'm getting another dyno done this wednesday to see what I'm really pushing now that I got the settings loaded back on the ecu.

·
Registered
57 Posts
GranTurismoInjection said:
Wait, so I would have to get my GTI chipped first, then use that? Doh, that's not what I was looking for... I wanted a plug n' play, though I guess it will be a while before that comes around.
The flashloader hold the programs for you so you can swich after you've been remapped.You can get valet,race pump,stock modes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you go with APR or ABT (I did), you can switch modes by using the cruise control stalk. Very easy way to change through programs and you don't have to plug in anything! 8)

·
Registered
473 Posts
mapssi is right. The APR is flipped from stock to sport thru the cruise control. Once I dyno I'll let ya know what she did and what mods I had at the time. hopefully in a couple weeks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts