Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I took my newish GTI to my mechanic and asked him to find problems with the car since I have had a hard time diagnosing them myself. One problem is the smell of burning oil and a small leak under the car. He told me that it is the chain tensioner gasket causing the leak and smell. This was the one job out of the list he recommended that a professional do. However, looking at it's location and other DIY guides it does not look to bad to do myself, especially if it saves me $300+. The only scary part is messing around with the drive chain and camshafts. My question is:

How do I position the camshafts and drive chain on install? I do not plan on removing them. My main concern is messing up the timing accidentally. (If this is even possible. Which it appears to be.) If I do this repair I will be adding a DIY as there does not seem to be one on this site.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Just found the camshaft locking tool. So yes, and it makes sense, the timing can be off. The question is will the camshafts move easily on removing the tension on the drive chain?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, after a couple hours of research and some help from my generous mechanic I feel a bit more prepared for doing this job. However, I plan on doing the valve cover gasket, chain tensioner gasket, and the cam seal (behind the cam sensor). What I have learned thus far:

The cam covers have an arrow that points to a notch in the cam sprocket when aligned properly. Also, undoing the tension on the drive chain will not let the cams move (at least one of them). This is because the opposite side of the exhaust cam is tied directly into the timing belt. So unless the timing belt is off, the cams will no rotate easily by undoing the tension in the drive chain. Do not take all of this for truth as I have not done it yet. I also still need to gather together information on when everything else is aligned e.g. the crankshaft lining up with the valve cover etc. That way when I am finished, and prior to turning the engine over, I can ensure everything is aligned properly. I will be looking in the repair manual for timing stuff.

Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts