Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want an exhaust that'l sound as good as my 1.8t is fast. That means "good, but not crazy loud and flamboyant". Any idea what I can do and still pass smog? I heard DP's are already out of the question :mad: I already have a Spectre P5 intake [no heatshield] if that makes any difference.

So what options does that leave me with? Once again, I'm not trying to up my rice/fuel ratio, I'm just trying not to sound like a whisp of air anymore. lol. If I can get an increase in performance that'd be awesome, but I don't expect any.

For the record, I plan on going stage 1 by next APRil. I'm waiting for the sale. Not because I want an exhaust before a chip.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I live in CA as well, if you want to pass emissions a catless downpipe is out of the question. You can still run a larger downpipe with a high flow cat which will give some performance gain, but still allow you to pass smog. IMO the best sounding exhaust is 42 draft designs, but if you want to save some money go to an exhaust shop and have them fabricate an exhaust for you.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uhhh. are there any ways to make my car sound better without swapping DP's? I'm very hesitant about not passing smog once I get a new DP, then having to pay to get my smaller DP re-installed.

I just wanna know if there's an easy way to make my car sound better. If there isn't, I'll just leave the stock exhaust.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Just get a catted dp and you should be able to pass smog. Should pass emissions testing and you could do the install by yourself if you have the tools. Not too hard to do and shouldnt take too long.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would recommend that as well.

If you absolutely don't want to change your DP, then just have your stock resonator removed, and get a magnaflow or borla muffler. It should sound good, but won't be as loud/aggressive as an exhaust with a catless DP.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
has anybody here ever been pulled over for being catless? Because I'm that guy who always finds himself driving around cities [in CA] at 11pm-3am every night. Cops are on the prowl, man. aha.

when you [volcano] say "with a cat", what's a good cat that comes with a test pipe? Will the cat-back need to be a smaller diameter in order to pass smog or will I have a complete 3" TB exhaust?

and just how easy is the entire job? I'm still in disbelief that a 3" DP will pass smog without some crazy expensive cat...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have been running a catless exhaust in south orange county CA for a little over a month, and have had no problems. It definitely attracts more attention than before, but that is to be expected when running a performance exhaust.

You will pass smog with pretty much any exhaust setup you want as long as you are running a cat when you go to get smogged. Most exhaust companies like 42DD and GHL etc. offer a race series exhaust with no cat, and a street series exhaust with a cat.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
has anybody here ever been pulled over for being catless? Because I'm that guy who always finds himself driving around cities [in CA] at 11pm-3am every night. Cops are on the prowl, man. aha.

when you [volcano] say "with a cat", what's a good cat that comes with a test pipe? Will the cat-back need to be a smaller diameter in order to pass smog or will I have a complete 3" TB exhaust?

and just how easy is the entire job? I'm still in disbelief that a 3" DP will pass smog without some crazy expensive cat...
i posted a like to a DP with a cat

its the street series DP

it comes with a high flow cat then you can get the cat back of your choice

i would also just get 42DD 3" turbo back with cat and res if you are that worried about noise and cops

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
x2 cat suck

even my Geo Prizm was cat less

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
for the record, money is a problem. I'm looking for cheap sound/performance here. I don't care too much about how my car sounds; I'm not much of a show-off. if it's too much to mod, I'll just go catless with the stock exhaust or something. lol.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
for the record, money is a problem. I'm looking for cheap sound/performance here. I don't care too much about how my car sounds; I'm not much of a show-off. if it's too much to mod, I'll just go catless with the stock exhaust or something. lol.
but if you go catless then you will not pass emissions

or you can swap stock DP back in when going to get inspected

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you are just looking for sounds, have your stock resonator cut out, and replace the muffler with a borla or magnaflow. You won't see any performance from this, but at least you would sound better

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
but if you go catless then you will not pass emissions

or you can swap stock DP back in when going to get inspected
...then wouldn't i just reinstall my stock cat to pass inspection?

If I'm going to be legal: I'm going to be legal 100% of the time.
If I'm going to be illegal: I'd need to have the ability to be legal in less than 1hour of work time on my driveway.

I was expecting somebody to just give me the name of a good cat-back system or something...this thread got extremely complicated.

[for the record, I would rather be legal]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.