Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am current looking to get a fantastic deal on an '07 Fahrenheit and have located 17 new ones on dealers lots all over the nation. :D

Gotta Love the internet O0

Does anyone have an suggestions about shipping cars? Things like good companies, do I have to be there to witness the loading, should I be worried about having it get damaged after I buy it but before it goes on the truck. What about titling it when the car is still in another state?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

I'm a newbee but think this is a great website!!

·
Banned
890 Posts
I bought my 00 Boxster on e-bay, sight unseen, and had it delivered from San Francisco to Maine (door to door) for $900.00. Seems the better price you get the slower they are. If I could, even with a new car, I'd fly out and get it! Just control your right foot! Check out Jet Blue's website if you fly. They sell a lot of one-way tickets. Some airlines it's cheaper to buy 2-way and not use the return trip.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Can you fly there and drive it back?
Fly and check it out but do not drive it back depending on how far away it is. A long distance drive home is not the way to break your fast in. Unless you have a truck that can haul it with a full hitch I'd get a Uhaul with a trailer hitch to put it COMPLETELY on and go get her myself if it came to that. Sometime to get the job done right you gotta do it yourself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I've run all the numbers and the cheapest way is to hire someone like DAS car hauling company to pick it up and deliever it. I looked into driving up and renting a u-haul car carier to bring it back but by the time I figured in gas both ways, a hotel room, and meals on the road it is cheaper to hire a trucking company.

Driving it home was never an option.

Does anyone have any suggestions or first hand information about any special out of state fees, etc?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
phx_looking to buy said:
Thanks for the responses. I've run all the numbers and the cheapest way is to hire someone like DAS car hauling company to pick it up and deliever it. I looked into driving up and renting a u-haul car carier to bring it back but by the time I figured in gas both ways, a hotel room, and meals on the road it is cheaper to hire a trucking company.

Driving it home was never an option.

Does anyone have any suggestions or first hand information about any special out of state fees, etc?
You usually end up paying the tax rate to your home state/county. Check with the selling dealer so you don't end up paying tax where the vehicle is coming from.

BE FOREWARNED: Check with your state's DMV and ask. California has some really screwy laws when it comes to bringing a vehicle in new (less than 7500 miles)... have you considered talking to your local VW and work through them?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i bought my car out of state. I make sure you have all the correct documents when you go to the dmv and when ur filling out ur part, dont mess it up because alterations arent allowed. Oh and when u register ur car, make sure u have the tax money they want it immediately.

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
i bougt my fast out of state. had it shipped to me from az to wa, cost me $625. the car arrived fine. the dealler was crap though. he sent it to me with a broken windshield, now, it wasnt broke when i bought it! also the car had an extra 200 miles on the odometer from what the dealer told me. he ofcourse didnt comment on the extra miles, and said that the window broke while the car was being "detailed." boy was i pissed. sent me a check to replace it, but it was about $120 short, and i had to search hi and low to find that deal too. was not happy at all with the dealler :mad: then when i finnaly went to register the car, i had to pay tax on it too :'( by the end of the day, i was out $1.8k. moral of the story, move to oregon and buy tax free ;D and always inspect the car before you pick it up. you can never be too carefull O0

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.