My Fast GTi banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:-\

Dealership located new GTI with 17" All Seasons and is trying to convince me to take the car with the 17' vs. 18'. Claims that the ride is better with 17' and that the 18' summer perfm. tires dont hold up to pot holes and rough roads. Claims I should take the car with the 17' all weather then when I wear them down I move to the 18' performance tires and purchase the 18 rims and new tires from someone like tirerack.com Obvious they dont want to go thru the trouble of switching the 17 for 18' w/ Huffs at the time of sale.....

Question: Worth pressing the issue / getting them to sell me the 18' huffs w/ summer performance tires or will the 17 all weather be ok. Any real difference / worth getting the 18 huffs w/ SPT'? Using the GTI only during the summer not winter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Knowing exactly what part of the country you live in will help answer
your question. Summer only tires are exactly that. They are deadly in
cold and snow.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
spookertunes said:
Knowing exactly what part of the country you live in will help answer
your question. Summer only tires are exactly that. They are deadly in
cold and snow.
Dom- it really depends on where you live. If it was me, I'd go with the 18's and swap the tires out come fall.
Mine came with 18" Huffs and all season tires FWIW.

·
Registered
19 Posts
"live in NJ in the summer. car will be in storage from December thru May."

If that's the case, hold out for what you want. Make the dealer earn his pay.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I love my 18" Huffs and summer tires. They are easy to clean, look great, and handle the curvy mountain roads without breaking a sweat. Come winter, I may have to switch to my second car, but in the meantime, I'm really enjoying them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Test drove both sizes. Definitely a smoother ride on the 17's, but you'll regret not having the look & performance of the trademark Huff 18's. Don't wimp out.... Go Big! Big! BIG!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ill be ording my GTI late this year and i will be putting the 18huffs and summer performance tires on. For winter,I live in colorado,(atleast 4months or more of snow and ice season and pretty much all year in the mountains)I might be switching to 17in rims and maybe Blizzak tires or something similar. I probably will go 17in because there is more options in winter tires and I love the blizzaks that i have on my company cargo E-250 van. My parents also have blizzaks on their toyota tundra and they seem to work great from what i hear. My mom tells me that she actually prefers the ride of the blizzaks compared to her regular bridgestone duelers. My $0.02.

oh yeah.............screw the dealer, get want you want unless you can talk them down about $1500 or so for the 17in rim car. >:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts