Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went looking for a new white GTI 4 door here in Houston.

All that was available was the 4door with pack#1 and the Huffs. Things I didn't want really. Got quoted $26,500. Just wanted it with the DSG and maybe huffs but def no Pack1 as I don't need sat radio or sunroof.

Then saw an ad for a used Red 06 for $20,988 w/ pack1 and huffs and only 4k miles. I figured that would better suit me at $5K less. But then when financing came I was recommended a $2800 warranty extension other wise the VW dealership would charge 14% on the loan compared to 9.19% (My first big loan, had to co-sign with my dad) since the loan would extend past the original warranty.

So I took the warranty extension as it made sense instead of higher interest.

So I got a slightly used Red GTI w/ factory warranty extension at 9% interest for $34K

A new 4door white GTI woulda ran prolly $38K but with only a regular warranty.

I had my car already sold for $2,200 and had $1,200 in the bank. I coulda waited a month and put $4k or so down and had the monthly payments be the same and would have what I truly wanted.

But I still have a GTI and have no more credit card debt and about $1500 to spend on whatever I want on it. I think a carbon fiber hood will make me feel better about having red instead of white and two less doors. ;) I'm sure the red will grow on me. But I just love love love white so much.

·
Registered
556 Posts
This is one of the few cars that I would take in any color they have. Also, it's probably the only car I like in white, which is good because I have a white one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The red will definitely grow on you, when i went to go buy my gti i had every intention of getting UG but when i got there (which i had been dealing with the same dealership for about a month) i had already had my financing set up and he had basically told me to come and pick out the one i want within the price range i could afford (which was about 26,000 or so) i get there and find a 07' UG package one and its everything i wanted but he tells me he can't give me the interest rate that i need to keep my payments where i want he said he can only give me the 4.9% interest on an 06' at this point there were only 14 06' in the midwest region he had one red one and it was still a package 1 but had the 17's instead of the 18's which i really love. But i test drove it and stood outside of it for like 45 min trying to decide weather or not i really wanted red. As i'm sure you can guess i went with the red i figured it was better to have a red gti and let it grow on me than to have no GTI at all. It grew on me really fast and they look excellent when they are nice and shiny. Have fun with yours.

·
Registered
690 Posts
06TRMKV said:
The red will definitely grow on you, when i went to go buy my gti i had every intention of getting UG but when i got there (which i had been dealing with the same dealership for about a month) i had already had my financing set up and he had basically told me to come and pick out the one i want within the price range i could afford (which was about 26,000 or so) i get there and find a 07' UG package one and its everything i wanted but he tells me he can't give me the interest rate that i need to keep my payments where i want he said he can only give me the 4.9% interest on an 06' at this point there were only 14 06' in the midwest region he had one red one and it was still a package 1 but had the 17's instead of the 18's which i really love.
I'm fairly certain that's the longest sentence I've ever read.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm in class right now so i wasn't really paying attention to grammar and what not. Sorry trying to take notes and trying to feed my fast too. I will work on having more punctuation for ya.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Why would they make you take an extended warranty for a lower interest rate? Sounds like coercive tied selling to me. I don't know about VW finance, but a bank doesn't give a damn if you have a warranty on your car, just as long as you own it and it's insured.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thalo said:
Why would they make you take an extended warranty for a lower interest rate? Sounds like coercive tied selling to me. I don't know about VW finance, but a bank doesn't give a damn if you have a warranty on your car, just as long as you own it and it's insured.
Exactly. The guy financing my car straight lied to me. I already got rid of the extended warranty.
That's $2,800 I saved.

I'm guessing he was scared after I confronted him cause I he offered me 7% interest later on.
Imma go tomorrow to get all my paper work redone and give him hell. I may be new to buying cars but I am not stupid. I've been asking a million questions and found out he was straight BSing me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Definitely go back to your dealer and get that warranty situation sorted out. That's total BS that he lied to you to get you to buy some extra warranty crap. Tell him if he doesn't give you the best interest rate you qualified for then you'll go somewhere else. I hate it when sales people pull that shit.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
or tell him you want Monster Mats, the trunk organizer, and VW valve caps... FREE, otherwise its off to the Better Business Bureau

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just remember, you have a right to back out of a deal at any time before you actually take "delivery" of the vehicle. "Delivery" is defined as when the dealer hands you the keys and you drive the car off the lot. The dealer also may not impose any penalty if you decide to walk at the last second.

Bottom line: It's your money. You don't have to settle. If you don't feel comfortable or feel like you are getting plowed up the anus, then do what you gotta do. There will always be another car on another lot that's perfect for you.

·
Registered
352 Posts
GranTurismoInjection said:
This is one of the few cars that I would take in any color they have. Also, it's probably the only car I like in white, which is good because I have a white one.
Can't agree with you more, except I don't have mine yet.

DrJones said:
06TRMKV said:
The red will definitely grow on you, when i went to go buy my gti i had every intention of getting UG but when i got there (which i had been dealing with the same dealership for about a month) i had already had my financing set up and he had basically told me to come and pick out the one i want within the price range i could afford (which was about 26,000 or so) i get there and find a 07' UG package one and its everything i wanted but he tells me he can't give me the interest rate that i need to keep my payments where i want he said he can only give me the 4.9% interest on an 06' at this point there were only 14 06' in the midwest region he had one red one and it was still a package 1 but had the 17's instead of the 18's which i really love.
I'm fairly certain that's the longest sentence I've ever read.
Nice observation! I second that thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.