Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wonder what happens to the car when it is lowered and you go over the bumps ::) do the bumpers make contact with the bump?

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
you sure do - you have to be very careful

Last week I went onto a freeway onramp and was speeding up pretty good, when there was a little dip in the road - my bottom touched the floor (ouch) - I heard a little scraping noise and held my heart - btw my Fahrenheit is stock and not lowered. I checked underneath my car and eveything looks OK.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh crap. i guess i have to write the street names that have bumps :p

and sorry for posting in a wrong place!!!

thanx!

·
Registered
230 Posts
now whether or not your bumpers gonna hit on speedbumps matters by about how much you lower it i think, i doubt that if you went pretty slow a 1" kit wouldnt scrape your bumper.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is yours lowered or is it stock?
under the bumper is fine for me. but i guess not lowering it is the best way to prevent from contact with bumps

·
Registered
230 Posts
mines stock right now, got a few things on the wishlist before coilovers, but my friends brothers is lowered 1" and he just goes really slow over bumps so he doesnt hit them

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
then 1" is the best. do i need new springs for lowering or i have to mod the stock springs( i think its springs :p)?

·
Registered
230 Posts
well, im not sayiing 1" is the best (unless you've got a lot of dips or speed bumps around you) but if you were going to just go 1" then yea, you would jsut go with lowering springs to replace the stock ones.. they dont cost to much but im not sure how hard they are to install

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it will take a lot of time, but i will take it to a body shop they will replace it for me :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Damm Patrick, where did you do that at? i havent bottomed out yet anywhere but then Danya has done most of the driving LOL

Did you find the spot where the scrape happened, im sure there will be some evidence?! did you look in the wheel wells to see if the tires just scraped in there? sometimes the suspension can load so hard that the tires will touch inside there, sounds like you had a G out and thats what happened?!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hehe i was going 40 on a stree and there was a dip which i didnt see. then when i went into it i heard a BOOM and i was like oh my god. i thought the bumper came out and went under the car, but luckily nothing happened ::)

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
TOE_FAST said:
Damm Patrick, where did you do that at? i havent bottomed out yet anywhere but then Danya has done most of the driving LOL

Did you find the spot where the scrape happened, im sure there will be some evidence?! did you look in the wheel wells to see if the tires just scraped in there? sometimes the suspension can load so hard that the tires will touch inside there, sounds like you had a G out and thats what happened?!
Probably - I checked the bottom and it looks fine... happened on the on ramp Tropicana - I-15N - I was going a little bit fast (damn tourists driving like grandma's around the Strip)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Ahhh right on, not sure if i have used that on ramp to go 15 north yet, ill remember that if i ever use it! good to know, glad the Fast is A-ok :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts