My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard break boosting can really make a difference in a race, and also heard the same about double clutching. I got the whole concept of double clutching, but i have no idea how to break boost or what it really does.......can i get some how to and your opinions on break boosting or double clutching.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I've never heard of "brake boosting", and unless you're driving something pre-1975 forget about even attempting double clutching... it'll just be harder to learn the right way to downshift.

·
Registered
749 Posts
If what you meant by "brake boosting" is in fact some special technique used in racing, I'm gonna have to leave it to someone else to explain it.

As far as I know, "brake boosting" is a mechanical upgrade you can make to your brake system. Commonly, this involves adding pressure lines and a pressure accumulator which allow the brakes to be assisted (or "boosted") by the power steering pump. I gather this is far more popular with muscle cars and trucks used for towing than for sports cars. Bigger rotors, better venting, SS lines, and bigger calipers are the best ways to improve your GTI's braking system. And they will make a big difference in a race.

·
Registered
34 Posts
could i get a quick lesson on double-clutching. In the race version, ive only heard of it in the movies, besides that i've heard of it on the big rigs. Can't grasp how it works, can someone explain. thanx.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Back in the day (and even now with the big rigs), automotive transmissions didn't have synchros. If you don't know what a synchro is, it's the part of the transmission that matches the input shaft speed to the driveshaft. If you've ever jammed your stick into gear too fast, or into the wrong gear with too much force (even with the clutch pressed) and grinded it a little, that was because you didn't give the synchro time to spin up to the right speed. Anyway, before synchros, the best way to shift quickly was to press the clutch, move the stick into neutral, let out the clutch (this would engage the input shaft to spin at the right speed), press the clutch again (hence, the name), and then put the transmission into your desired gear. Like PMAZ said, it's not much of an issue and unless you're a professional driver; not worth the training to get it right.

·
Registered
34 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
Back in the day (and even now with the big rigs), automotive transmissions didn't have synchros. If you don't know what a synchro is, it's the part of the transmission that matches the input shaft speed to the driveshaft. If you've ever jammed your stick into gear too fast, or into the wrong gear with too much force (even with the clutch pressed) and grinded it a little, that was because you didn't give the synchro time to spin up to the right speed. Anyway, before synchros, the best way to shift quickly was to press the clutch, move the stick into neutral, let out the clutch (this would engage the input shaft to spin at the right speed), press the clutch again (hence, the name), and then put the transmission into your desired gear. Like PMAZ said, it's not much of an issue and unless you're a professional driver; not worth the training to get it right.
thanks again for your words of wisdom posse, i appreciate you taking the time to explain it.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
It's even MORE important NOT to learn it if you are a pro driver. Double clutching is a thing of the past. Heel-Toe is what you're looking for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To answer the orginal question I am guessing by brake boosting you mean while your are street racing from a roll. In turbo cars the turbo lag is a problem. You stomp on the gas and have to wait for the turbo to spool up to give you the power. This is where brake boosting comes into play. While you are waiting for your 3 honks or whatever. you hit the gas while hittin the brakes. this lets you get your rpms up and start spooling up the turbo while maintaing the same speed with your brakes, then when that last honk comes you let off the brake and mash the gas and you have your turbo already making its boost. Its a neat trick dont think it would make much of a difference on the GTI they have a good power band, but on a car with a large turbo like a dyno queen supra it is nessary. Look up some videos of turboed supras racing V-8 cars. The V-8 cars rocket off the line and then couple secs later the supar or whatever car will fly by(there turbos spooled up). So best option put some big turbos on a V-8 or V-10 for that matter lots of torque down low from the motor and lots of hp high end from the turbo and lots of money out of your wallet.

....hope this is what you where looking for

·
Registered
749 Posts
That's the best definition of brake boosting I've heard yet. Seems like a good enough concept and should work in that situation, but my heart goes out to those warped brake rotors.

·
Registered
606 Posts
That's not "brake boosting". One of my other friends on the force is BIG into rally racing with his tricked out Mitsu Lancer EVO. He mentioned it to me one day (I had never heard of it, but it would definitely give you an edge if done properly...or REALLY screw you over if done incorrectly).

The concept of "brake boosting" centers around being able to take turns while boost is still maintained. We all know that in order to take a turn, you must slow down to make it. Thus lowering your boost pressure. "Brake boosting" is where you use your left foot braking into a turn and punching the gas with your right (while left is still on the brake) just before you hit the apex of your turn. Once you hit the apex, you let off the brake and you launch out of the turn.

·
Registered
606 Posts
matrim22 said:
Sounds like the same concept Triph explained, just with a different application (straight line street racing vs. rally).
What Triph explained sounds like a normal launch to me. But you don't even need to be on the brakes. Foot down on the clutch and foot on the gas. Let go of the clutch when you got the green light. If you're on an incline/decline and your car won't stay put, pull up on the e-brake just enough to keep it from moving. Keep your thumb pressed down on the e-brake button so you can dissengage the e-brake at the same time you're letting go of the clutch.

·
Registered
158 Posts
He was saying from a roll. No e-brake there. His example was a way of using the brake + gas to stay on the boost. So was what your friend described. Like I said, the exact same thing, just one application for a straight line race and another for rally.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
SpeeDemon said:
That's not "brake boosting". One of my other friends on the force is BIG into rally racing with his tricked out Mitsu Lancer EVO. He mentioned it to me one day (I had never heard of it, but it would definitely give you an edge if done properly...or REALLY screw you over if done incorrectly).

The concept of "brake boosting" centers around being able to take turns while boost is still maintained. We all know that in order to take a turn, you must slow down to make it. Thus lowering your boost pressure. "Brake boosting" is where you use your left foot braking into a turn and punching the gas with your right (while left is still on the brake) just before you hit the apex of your turn. Once you hit the apex, you let off the brake and you launch out of the turn.
I'm not trying to be a smart ass, or a know it all, but please... for the sake of your own driving knowledge, as well as your friend's, read a book on proper driving/racing. Maybe it's just a "pet peeve" of mine, but I can't stand it when people talk in terms of when you can let off the brake or get on the gas in a corner. Like every single corner is the same. Like all apexes have been approached at the proper speed/angle/stabilization... Sorry I just needed to vent, and I mean no disrespect to you or your post other than I wish people would just learn how to drive the machine they spend so much money and time in.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Everyone knows that no matter what turn you go into, there's going to be an apex. OBVIOUSLY they're at different points. No where did I say in my last quote that every turn is the same. Let's not get pissy and take things out of context here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Even if it's not a rally I like to use left foot breaking when I 125cc cart race on mild but fast sweepers so I can keep the rpm high but need to slow down just a hair. (Caution, do not ue left foot breaking without practicing in a open parking lot at slow speeds! It can be a very difficult maneuver to pull off at first and can cause a accident if you don't practice it in a safe environment.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Try brake boosting in a MKV and you will get nothing... IT kills throttle and input when it senses brake input. You cant do both at once. Try it sometime.

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
Try brake boosting in a MKV and you will get nothing... IT kills throttle and input when it senses brake input. You cant do both at once. Try it sometime.
Yep I was thinking about this and decided to search for a brake boosting thread.
On the mkv you can brake boost allitle but once you get so far on the brakes it completly cuts the throttle (fly-by-wire). I always called it heel-toe tho use you heel on the brake and toe on the gas, its very effective in the twistys if you have a car that will allow you to do it :(

·
Registered
124 Posts
ya. break boosting isnt needed for our cars. our turbos are small and spool up below 2000 rpm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.