Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking to do my first mod on my mkv gti and i was wondering if i should get a blow off valve or just upgrade the dv. which one would be better if i'm looking to do an apr stage 1 upgrade? although i don't have the money right now i would also like to buy my self an intake. i know there are many threads on here about which intake is the best but i'm just wondering which one people like the best and where i can get it.

Thanks
-ryan

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
i'm looking to do my first mod on my mkv gti and i was wondering if i should get a blow off valve or just upgrade the dv. which one would be better if i'm looking to do an apr stage 1 upgrade? although i don't have the money right now i would also like to buy my self an intake. i know there are many threads on here about which intake is the best but i'm just wondering which one people like the best and where i can get it.

Thanks
-ryan
Diverter Valve

BOV will mess your car up, and throw a CEL

also search next time.... this question has been answered like 5 times already

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CEL stand for check engine light? and i searched but all i was finding were threads for the 1.8t instead of my 2.0t

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
CEL stand for check engine light? and i searched but all i was finding were threads for the 1.8t instead of my 2.0t
yes it stands for Check Engine Light

and your car has a MAF (mass air flow) and if it doesnt see that the boost goes back to the intake it thinks you have boost leak and thows the light cus a diverter valve sends all the air back to the intake... Blow off releases into atmosphere... hence why you NEED a diverter valve... (well not really need) but your car runs like garbage cus your MAF will give it wrong fuel/air ratios etc. etc. just bad if you dont have a DV

·
Dub 2.0
924 Posts

Thanks
-ryan
I think he is looking for suggestions on whether to go the OEM route or Forge and such... Teh Chris, what do you have on yours? SSQV?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
U dont need to upgrade your DV until you get chipped. And even then, its a 50/50 chance that it will fail.

VW OEM Revision "D" DV is like $80

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm fairly certain a GTI can be tuned for a BOV.

The GTI I just bought has a BOV (I don't even listen to the radio anymore ;)) and it does not throw CELs. Also runs perfectly well, and the boost certainly hasn't suffered. All though I might be running at a higher PSI, not certain. I need to take it to a tuner and have them look it over and tell me exactly what I've got running, the dealer had no idea.

Also, if you plan on adding a CAI then BOV/DV doesn't matter, correct? Because the CAI will mess with the digits that the MAF expects, so dumping to atmosphere might even be better (I imagine air going through DV warms up and will kind of reduce the effect of the CAI.) correct?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Previous owner put Forge BOV and now I'm stuck with 1g in repairs related to that alone my advice first upgrade should be a decent intake and next get a downpipe much better for car and performance.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I'm fairly certain a GTI can be tuned for a BOV.

The GTI I just bought has a BOV (I don't even listen to the radio anymore ;)) and it does not throw CELs. Also runs perfectly well, and the boost certainly hasn't suffered. All though I might be running at a higher PSI, not certain. I need to take it to a tuner and have them look it over and tell me exactly what I've got running, the dealer had no idea.

Also, if you plan on adding a CAI then BOV/DV doesn't matter, correct? Because the CAI will mess with the digits that the MAF expects, so dumping to atmosphere might even be better (I imagine air going through DV warms up and will kind of reduce the effect of the CAI.) correct?
im fairly certain your a retard... it may say blow off but they are prolly recircing it to you intake cus YOU WILL get a CEL cus you have a MAF.... noobs these days.

·
Registered
11 Posts
im fairly certain your a retard... it may say blow off but they are prolly recircing it to you intake cus YOU WILL get a CEL cus you have a MAF.... noobs these days.
YOU'RE COOL.

Just kidding, you're really not.

No. It's a BOV. I know what a BOV is. I am absolutely certain it dumps to atmosphere.

Oh, and 'im fairly certain your a retard...' just makes you look silly. If you're going to be rude, do it properly.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Easy now... no need for name calling.

Yes, these cars are meant to recirculate and not blow-off but its not unheard of. Also, chipping a car will eliminate a CEL for a variety of issues (MAF errors included).

Its possible that its running a Forge DV spacer which I think is sort of a cross between the two.

Either way, dont bash someone for trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Yes, these cars are meant to recirculate and not blow-off but its not unheard of. Also, chipping a car will eliminate a CEL for a variety of issues (MAF errors included).

Its possible that its running a Forge DV spacer which I think is sort of a cross between the two.

The car may very well be chipped, that's actually what I meant by 'tuned' to a degree.

There is a guy at work who runs a service out of one of his hangars where he plugs his laptop into Porches, he can then go in and change different variables to whatever he'd like, that way he can adjust it for different parts added, different owner's interests, etc. Surely this can be done for GTIs aswell, right?

And yeah, I was just trying to be helpful. Apparently I'm a 'noob' now, but I'm very familiar with turbo'd cars. If some how if somehow the unmistakable sound and 'feel' of a bov dumping to atmosphere has escaped me, and I have idea what I'm talking about, I apologize. We'll see tuesday.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
The car may very well be chipped, that's actually what I meant by 'tuned' to a degree.

There is a guy at work who runs a service out of one of his hangars where he plugs his laptop into Porches, he can then go in and change different variables to whatever he'd like, that way he can adjust it for different parts added, different owner's interests, etc. Surely this can be done for GTIs aswell, right?

And yeah, I was just trying to be helpful. Apparently I'm a 'noob' now, but I'm very familiar with turbo'd cars. If some how if somehow the unmistakable sound and 'feel' of a bov has escaped me, and I have idea what I'm talking about, I apologize. We'll see tuesday.
its called VAG-COM and yeah it can tweek minor things.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
its called VAG-COM and yeah it can tweek minor things.
Aye, VAG and "chipping" are 2 different things. Easiest way to see if your chipped is to get a boost gauge and see what PSI your running. VAG tweaking can change some of the basic functions of the car (disable DRL's for example)...

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts

I've already ripped this kids a** once about Bov's guess I'll do it again...

You can run a BOV. Even on a 2.0. Teh Chr!s did it for while with his HKS until his ecu just bugged out for no reason and to this day I still don't think we have an answer as to what happened. And a Bov can recirculate into the intake, just as a DV does and still be called a Bov soooooo yea.

Look kid, you're pretty new. No need to sit here and bad mouth newer people simply because they don't do things as you do. And frankly, it does make you look more like an idiot. It also ruins the mindset people have of our forum, which is something us older posters are very proud of... Next time be chill.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I've already ripped this kids a** once about Bov's guess I'll do it again...

You can run a BOV. Even on a 2.0. Teh Chr!s did it for while with his HKS until his ecu just bugged out for no reason and to this day I still don't think we have an answer as to what happened. And a Bov can recirculate into the intake, just as a DV does and still be called a Bov soooooo yea.

Look kid, you're pretty new. No need to sit here and bad mouth newer people simply because they don't do things as you do. And frankly, it does make you look more like an idiot. It also ruins the mindset people have of our forum, which is something us older posters are very proud of... Next time be chill.
if you look at the post of the pictures, it is a Blow off valve that has been tubbed to recirc.... thats prolly what the chris did with his 2.0
and if you dump straight to atmosphere your mass air flow doesnt see the extra boost and send info to the ecu which in the end messes with your AIR/FUEL ratio... an telling your fuel pump to run differently messing up how your car runs...

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
OMG...

So you're going to tell me how one of my closest friends ran his BOV on his car? Like I didn't already know? And to answer no, he didn't run his like that. And frankly, you're still clueless. The HKS is a completely different type of BOV which stays closed at idle, not open. This is the reason that it doesn't throw a CEL. Go ahead, buy one for your car and block off your intake hole. I am willing to bet you my mercedes benz for your GTi that you do not get a CEL and I bet you the car runs better after the ecu adjusts to the HKS.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
OMG...

So you're going to tell me how one of my closest friends ran his BOV on his car? Like I didn't already know? And to answer no, he didn't run his like that. And frankly, you're still clueless. The HKS is a completely different type of BOV which stays closed at idle, not open. This is the reason that it doesn't throw a CEL. Go ahead, buy one for your car and block off your intake hole. I am willing to bet you my mercedes benz for your GTi that you do not get a CEL and I bet you the car runs better after the ecu adjusts to the HKS.
Truth... {agree}

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
OMG...

i rather not buy a Blow of vavle for my car when it would throw CEL and run rich.. im all set with that.

http://jsalmi.com/bov/ quick little read for you about DV and Blow off valve and how it doesnt run properly if it doesnt recerc.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.