Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, when do'n my stereo I installed a New South Performace boost gauge.....matches perfect fits great.

Really easy to install, specially with everything apart O0

·
Registered
342 Posts
Looks good (especially the head unit!), but the gauge looks a little crooked to me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seawolfe said:
Looks good (especially the head unit!), but the gauge looks a little crooked to me.
It is, I did that on purpose - it's the natural way my head tilts to look at that spot, makes it easier to read at a quick glance for me 8)

I suppose I can test it straight since it would look better and if I didn't notice a diff....all's good in the hood

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Okay, I don't wanna thread jack but I know I'll forget if I go looking... Scans, send me a PM or anyone for that matter.

I just want the name of the head unit you have, it's capabilities and whether or not it would be a good thing to get the head unit alone.

I am in no way familiar with audio... I wanna maybe get a sub, but I have no idea what I'd have to do. Do I need an amp? Or if I got an amp would I need new speakers (don't want to go through that trouble or that money)?

Please help a noob.

I LOVE THAT HEAD UNIT.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kryptonkid07 said:
Okay, I don't wanna thread jack but I know I'll forget if I go looking... Scans, send me a PM or anyone for that matter.

I just want the name of the head unit you have, it's capabilities and whether or not it would be a good thing to get the head unit alone.

I am in no way familiar with audio... I wanna maybe get a sub, but I have no idea what I'd have to do. Do I need an amp? Or if I got an amp would I need new speakers (don't want to go through that trouble or that money)?

Please help a noob.

I LOVE THAT HEAD UNIT.
Yeah man, it's they Avic-D3....you could get that, a small amp to run the sub, and a sub....would be a real easy install for a install place, prob around 2 - 300 bucks (you'd also need the dash kit which is pretty cheap) Don't forget you will loose your steering wheel controls to control the stereo

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks like ish, rip is all out (and give it all to me ;) )

Looks good man, when we installing mine :D

Although I may save for the AVIC-N3, granted it's pricier, but has the HD and the GPS looks a little better, but I need to see yours in person.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GTIERDone said:
Looks like ish, rip is all out (and give it all to me ;) )

Looks good man, when we installing mine :D

Although I may save for the AVIC-N3, granted it's pricier, but has the HD and the GPS looks a little better, but I need to see yours in person.
LOL, we can install yours anytime, it would prob be a super quick install now that I've gone through it once, specially if it's just a HU replacement.....maybe 2 hours.

Yeah I have passengers that LOVE to watch movies while driving, and we do a lot of long trips.....I was look'n at the higher models too, but they have a gyro in them to detect if the car is moving, so there is no current way to hack them to play DVD's or use functionally while moving...that instantly put them outta my market.....the D3, just pop a wire - plug it in a diff spot and ground it....and you unlock everything while moving. I HATE when navs and HUs lock 90% of functionally up while driving..........

I actually haven't even used/played with the nav yet.....so it still could suck ;)

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
scans007 said:
Don't forget you will loose your steering wheel controls to control the stereo
[/quote

Craaap.... I couldn't remember why I haven't wanted to replace the head unit until now. I kept telling myself I wouldn't get a new HU so i'd keep the steering wheel controls.

What about the volume controls and mute? I'd loose that too? Man... I'd be happy if I could keep that.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Question about the Gyro's in newer HU's ... is this a technology that couldnt be defeated? should we consider getting a nice DVD/NAV HU without the gyro now while we can in case all of them eventually come with the gyro and we lose functionality unless we stop.

I currently have the tom tom 700 and i can use it on the fly and i love that, but i was hoping for a nice 2 din HU that could play and switch back and forth from NAV to movies to music seamlessly while on the fly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts