Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Just curious as to how difficult it is to DIY a boost gauge install? I'm planning on buy the New South Column pod boost gauge. AWE-Tuning quoted me about 2 hours to install it. I wasn't sure if it was worth 2 hours at $85/hr. I think I can do it myself...just wanted to know how hard it is, and also what's required tool wise. PLEASE I'M DESPERATE!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean "many times you have to drill through the fire wall"???
Is it an easy DIY was my question.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Well I Ordered My Newsouth Boost Gauge Friday It Should Be Here Soon ... Once I Got It Installed Ill Let Yah Know How Bad It Was To Install.
-Chr!s

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hey guys,
Just curious as to how difficult it is to DIY a boost gauge install? I'm planning on buy the New South Column pod boost gauge. AWE-Tuning quoted me about 2 hours to install it. I wasn't sure if it was worth 2 hours at $85/hr. I think I can do it myself...just wanted to know how hard it is, and also what's required tool wise. PLEASE I'M DESPERATE!
Hey, you should take a look at the steering mount. I have this gauge, nd it does its job perfectly. Heres the DIY I followed http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3524

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
After hooking up my system, I think I may change how my boost gauge is hooked up. The wiring I ran through the headlight switch and can easy be done as long as you follow the simple rule: red = power, brown = ground (double check on MKV's before attempting tho). As far as the boost wire is concerned, I originally tucked mine between the door and fender but I discovered a well hidden area under the dash that the wiring harness feeds through the firewall and is completely hidden. Would be great if you could run the cable through that area and use the gauge for a steering column mount.

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
197 Posts
you dont have to drill through anthing, its pretty easy, just make sure you have all the parts to the vacuum thing that connects to the suction tube next to engine to the front right. maybe 2 hours. toke me like 4 though

·
Registered
606 Posts
There's definitely no drilling involved. I'm trying to find someone around the Fairfax, VA area that wants one installed so I could do a DIY write-up. I was only going to charge a flat $30,

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I may have been ripped off horribly, but at least I had it done right by AWE-Tuning. I ended up paying appx. $260 total, parts and labor. I love it though, it really works great, and also looks phenominal. I'd definately recommend the New South to anyone, however AWE's is really nice as well. AWE costs 160 I think though, where as the NS only costs about 120 shipped, possibly less. Definately a good purchase for you though VEGAS, especially now that you're chipped. It's extremely important to be able to monitor boost levels.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I may have been ripped off horribly, but at least I had it done right by AWE-Tuning. I ended up paying appx. $260 total, parts and labor. I love it though, it really works great, and also looks phenominal. I'd definately recommend the New South to anyone, however AWE's is really nice as well. AWE costs 160 I think though, where as the NS only costs about 120 shipped, possibly less. Definately a good purchase for you though VEGAS, especially now that you're chipped. It's extremely important to be able to monitor boost levels.
HOLY RAPING OF THE WALLET, BATMAN!!! $260! I'd start forcing myself to learn how to work on your car if you're into modding.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just got my AWE vent boost gauge installed with my Forge Motorsports DV. I love watching that little bar go up and down. Problem though. Unfortunately I did take it to my shop to have them do it :(, but ne ways, he told me i should be pushing about 20-21 psi :D, but i never see that bar over about 18. Not sure what that means though :eek: Maybe I don't even know how to read the thing. But I paid for all this extra boost and now I can see. $$ well spent IMHO
No offense to any one, but sometimes some things installed on your car are better left to the pro's. and in alot of instances of stuff I had put on my car, I just don't have the necessary tools or garage space for alot of the stuff. So for some it may just be easier to let the pros do it. My 2 cents for whatever its worth.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i completely agree with you it is easier to let the pros do it but its kinda fun to have the satisfaction of knowing that you shed a lil blood for your ride. and im sure that most people here agree with me that you haven't really modded ur car unless you have shed some blood. but i can relate with you on not haveing the shop space and tools. it kills me when im in college because i have no where to work on my car and clean it. but on big stuff like the fmic and suspension i won't do it my self. but exhaust and tip and other stuff i will. so im 50/50 with you. and i know that i have rambled a bit but im a lil under the weather if yall know what i mean

Just got my AWE vent boost gauge installed with my Forge Motorsports DV. I love watching that little bar go up and down. Problem though. Unfortunately I did take it to my shop to have them do it :(, but ne ways, he told me i should be pushing about 20-21 psi :D, but i never see that bar over about 18. Not sure what that means though :eek: Maybe I don't even know how to read the thing. But I paid for all this extra boost and now I can see. $$ well spent IMHO
No offense to any one, but sometimes some things installed on your car are better left to the pro's. and in alot of instances of stuff I had put on my car, I just don't have the necessary tools or garage space for alot of the stuff. So for some it may just be easier to let the pros do it. My 2 cents for whatever its worth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree that if youre going to make modifications to your car, you should try to do it yourself. I recently got new headlights and tail lights, decided to do them myself just to learn the inside and out of my car. I felt alot more satisfied.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Boost line could be pinched or something along those lines. If it takes a sharp curve and slightly crimps the line it will throw off the boost readings.

I did the APR FMIC install in my driveway on an mkv... not a very pleasant experience but no sunlight didn't help. Work should be attempted if you feel you can confidently handle it, if you are unsure or may have doubts, let someone else install it, but be there watching, learning if possible. Or have a tech explain how they did it. At least this way you can learn from the experience.

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
foxie roxie are you chipped or anything like that, because, i may be wrong here, but I'm not sure you are supposed to run 20 psi factory

·
Registered
832 Posts
This is KILLING....KILLING me. I followed this DIY and cannot see where the Vacuum hose is. I cannot see where to connect the T fitting. Now I have my car all torn apart and am effed! HELP

·
Registered
606 Posts
This is KILLING....KILLING me. I followed this DIY and cannot see where the Vacuum hose is. I cannot see where to connect the T fitting. Now I have my car all torn apart and am effed! HELP

It's circled in yellow. It's underneath the 3 black hoses. You can kind of see the billet aluminum t-fitting hiding underneath them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts