Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been doing my fair share of searching and reading, and I am just not finding something specifically oriented to my issue. I have had my mkiv for about 6-7 years now. Quick and short, 3 years ago was getting blue smoke, so instead of replacing the k03, went with k04 from ecstuning. About 20k miles ago I had my valve train redone due to an oil leak that melted the teeth off my timing belt, and well you know how that went. Job was done by an older gentleman, German, knew his stuff, also had new bearings put in. Next was my down pipe that rusted off, so I went with a 2.5 Billy Boat, turbo back. Been running that now about 1.5 year and added a afe pro 5 intake. Since I have added this intake, i can hear my turbo spooling a lot louder than usual, and a small choo-choo during shifts and deceleration. I did mods a little backwards because I also own a 240sx that I put time and money into. However my question I am getting at, is should the spooling be normal since there is no more air box and is more open like a short-ram, and should I install the APR R1 I have? Also, what are the thoughts on tunes APR, Revo, Uni, GAIC? As far as the oil, I have no visible leaks, and have check all the typical areas, motor is pretty clean since top end rebuild. Where could this oil be going?! Only about 2k since my last oil change, Valvoline Full Synthetic 5w-30, which I have used pretty much the whole time I have had the car, and was level was at the bottom of the dip stick. Thoughts, advice, guidance, questions, much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oil problem seemed to stop since this post. . .227 views, anyone have any thoughts on running the APR R1 versus stock diverter valve with these bolt on's or should look to get the car flashed first? APR, REvo, Uno or GAIC? Gut says go APR. . .

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
you put on a K04 without the tune.

I would make my appointment with APR or Uni right now. they might still have the summer/waterfest sale. usually save about $100.

you do not need the dv on stock tune. you will after the tune. so if the tune is on sale you could use the savings toward the dv

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.