Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my Fast isn't fast. She won't hold boost. :-\

I'm running the APR 91 octane software so I should see a spike around 18PSI. I'm only holding 8-10PSI.

I suspect it's the DV, but I don't have a CEL. I can hear the leaking, it sounds like the valve is constantly open.

Doesn't a blown DV usually throw a CEL code? Should I be looking somewhere other than the DV?

I'm swapping the valve for a new one tomorrow, so we'll see if this fixes the problem. If it doesnt I'm on a goose chase.

Thanks guys

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
doctorgonzo said:
So, my Fast isn't fast. She won't hold boost. :-\

I'm running the APR 91 octane software so I should see a spike around 18PSI. I'm only holding 8-10PSI.

I suspect it's the DV, but I don't have a CEL. I can hear the leaking, it sounds like the valve is constantly open.

Doesn't a blown DV usually throw a CEL code? Should I be looking somewhere other than the DV?

I'm swapping the valve for a new one tomorrow, so we'll see if this fixes the problem. If it doesnt I'm on a goose chase.

Thanks guys

Chris
What year? If you replace it with OEM- make sure you get the newer version. The DV on the 06 and some early 07's was redesigned to be a lil bit stronger.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
doctorgonzo said:
It's an 07. I will be replacing a blown "G" valve with a new "G" valve.
My guess is that the diaphragm on the DV is starting to tear... let us know what you find out- (any mods to the turbo plumbing?)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I concur. It just irked me, not getting a CEL.

No modded turbo plumbing, yet.

Chris

(used concur and irked, all in the same post!)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
A blown stock DV will not throw a CEL (under most circumstances). The ECU only sees the action of the solonoid on the DV which is actuated by the ECU. The ECU has no way to know if the diaphram is blown as the valve will actuate whether the diaphram is torn or not.

What you described sounds a lot like a blown DV.... Any more details though? They might help in the diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
22350 said:
A blown stock DV will not throw a CEL (under most circumstances). The ECU only sees the action of the solonoid on the DV which is actuated by the ECU. The ECU has no way to know if the diaphram is blown as the valve will actuate whether the diaphram is torn or not.

What you described sounds a lot like a blown DV.... Any more details though? They might help in the diagnosis.
Spoken like the true owner of a HKS SSQV. :D ;D

(Sorry- I had to bro! Don't taser me!)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I don' think that's a DV. That's the piece that sits closer to the top of the motor that routes pressurized air into the intake manifold...(I think, someone correct me if I'm mistaken)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts