Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new so please forgive me and my desperate lack of technical knowledge! My Mk4 GTi 1998 (1.8 20v) has two problems which I can't pinpoint.
Firstly the car knocks and bangs terribly over bumps. Is this a bushes thing? I've heard others say track rod ends but i really don't know. It seems like metal against metal at times. Springs are ok according to mot as is exhaust apparently, I am at a loss and local garage didn't seem too interested.
The other really odd one is a blowing sound coming from the engine when you accelerate (it's even worse when the bend in the road goes left, bizarrely!). We've had two air hoses replaced previously (the one with about five little junctions and the long thin one that comes off this and gooes down the front of the engine)and this sound is very similar but with the cover off I can't find it or spot any loose/split hoses and I can't reproduce the sound by just revving.
Any help greatly appreciated, before Ihave to pay someone to have a look!

Pete

·
Registered
48 Posts
as for the clinking sound, my gti has been making the same noise over bumps, it appeared to me that my shock bolts were loose, may not be your problem but woeth checking also in the front it could be the control arm bushings, the sound your describing under the hood definitely sound turbo related, which is why you cant simulate the sound with just reving it. check intercooler hoses, and try a boost leak test... good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts