Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my ride dyno'd recently and I was disappointed with the numbers (226whp/277ft-lbs). I started thinking to myself about if there was something that got erased off my ecu when I disconnect the battery to work on my GTI (which I had done a few times). I called Pro-Imports where I had purchased my Revo Stage I & II. Patrick is the guy I spoke to (very smart guy...been working on VDub's forever). He said that all companies with aftermarket flash programs have the issue of the "settings" (not the actual program, just vital settings such as boost and timing etc...) being erased upon resetting the ECU. Unless you have an SPS Select or Select Plus Switch with your settings saved on it, you'll have to go to the place you purchased the chip from to get the settings added back in to your ride.

Well I got my Revo Stage II settings added back into my ecu and booooy did it make a world of difference! I feel like there's an extra 50-60whp/60-70ft-lbs! Patrick, said that Revo is going to be releasing an update next month that will eliminate this issue of resetting the ecu and the settings erasing. That's why I like Revo so much, the ecu programming is what they specialize in. They don't have a high stake in other performance parts as much as say, APR, so their main focus is ecu programming (don't take this to mean that I'm knocking APR. There's really not one company with a chip that stands out above the rest. Revo just seems to have more options [if U buy the Select Plus Switch]). I bought the SPS Select Plus Switch so I have tunability options.

I'm interested to see what my new dyno results are going to be.........I gotta wait till Wednesday though :mad:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey SD, did they charge you to put the settings back on? I'm assuming they didn't. Having the same issue with my APR - went to install a sub, hooked battery back up, and my powerband is all messed up. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
When I bolted up the downpipe for my TBE I pulled the battery and caddie to get better access to the top bolt on the turbo. When I was finished with the install I went for a run around the block and was totally pissed. It felt like the 3" pipe sucked 50hp outta the system and a huge helping of torque to boot. (AWE couldn't be that right could they?) :-\

I went back to my GIAC dealer (as I thought the 3" could not do that much to usurp power) and he said there should not have been any issues with the flash; (he drives a MKV too and has had the battery disconnected multiple times with no adverse affects.)

Long stroy short: he was convinced that only the info the program had stored about the usual driving parameters was deleted. As I had just pulled the stock exhaust, (again,) and put on the TBE it should have been ideal as the ECU could learn the new tolerances without any conflicting info from the stock system.

I insisted he hook it up just in case and take a peak; sure enough......the program was intact but was using a bunch a stock tolerances. The only things that were still up were the elevated rev limiter and speed governor and a few other things. It was a simple task to get it all up correctly and there was NO CHARGE to do so. My guy is very cool though....and I can't speak on other providers.

At the end of the day....Disconnecting the battery while chipped with GIAC does require a trip to your dealer.

AND....I dispute the 3" torque loss findings that we have all heard of. I have more low end than ever. ;D

Had to throw that in!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for the info! It puts my mind at ease knowing that other people have had the same issue. I know the feeling of starting up your car after getting something new installed and having the ECU fault - it's bittersweet! Kinda sucks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
i had my ecu flashed 3 times already!!! thinking of swithching compnies because of that.. but ya, my 3" really... well it feels like i lost power, but i dont know...

·
Registered
280 Posts
So I was having the powerband issues with my APR chip when I unplugged my battery to install my sub. Anyways, took her in and got the throttle body adjust/ fault code erase program put on my cruise control stalk - takes care of the issue any time you have to unplug your battery! Very happy to find such an easy fix to this problem. O0

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have the throttle body adjust/fault code erase program as well, it really is a life saver, I have to use it like once a month!

·
Registered
3 Posts
i dont know what you guys are talking about cause i have a 03' gti with a stage 2 giac chip and i just had navigation put in my car and when i reconnected my battery i did not have to fix the settings for my chip and i called a well known tuning shop and they tolded me your settings cant be erased that easily you have to physically change the settings with your laptop the only settings that can change by disconnecting the battery are the electronics in the car thats it.but who knows mabey its just giac chips that cant be erased that easily.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont know what you guys are talking about cause i have a 03' gti with a stage 2 giac chip and i just had navigation put in my car and when i reconnected my battery i did not have to fix the settings for my chip and i called a well known tuning shop and they tolded me your settings cant be erased that easily you have to physically change the settings with your laptop the only settings that can change by disconnecting the battery are the electronics in the car thats it.but who knows mabey its just giac chips that cant be erased that easily.
Not only is your gti one generation down from mine and running a totally different ecu, but like I said, "REVO" is what I'm running, not giac. I can't speak for all ecu programs. I definitely have the dyno results to prove it if you're calling me a liar.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Not only is your gti one generation down from mine and running a totally different ecu, but like I said, "REVO" is what I'm running, not giac. I can't speak for all ecu programs. I definitely have the dyno results to prove it if you're calling me a liar.
liar[kiss ass]

(I'm just messin' w/ ya)

IIRC the MkIV uses an actual chip (as opposed to the MkV is software only).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts