My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can't seem to get my windshield streak-free. first i used the ole' windex with newspaper, but that leaves major streak marks and little paper residue. then my friend recommended water with towel, that was even worse. i thinking of getting windshield wipes, think those would be ok?

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
MICROFIBER CLOTH: one damp with water, one totally dry. It's all I can use on the inside windshield, as I have tint along the top... Good luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm totally OCD when it comes to the glass. Try Stoner Invisible Glass (it's in the auto section) and use it with your newspaper. I've used a ton of cleaners and this is my favorite. It's totally different from the alcohol or ammonia-based cleaners.

·
Banned
890 Posts
Tried those anti-fog wipes by Rain-X. Ugh. Real hard to get streak free. Makes the inside kinda hazy, even after dry and polish. Gave em away...
I suck at posting links, but go to Home Depot, in their search enngine type 'window cleaner', then look for;Buying Guide: Window Cleaners, it really is useful. I find the ZEP glass cleaner works best. Zep use to be available only commercially, but they are getting more popular. Windex is one of the worst for me.

·
Registered
842 Posts
ande1978 said:
I'm totally OCD when it comes to the glass. Try Stoner Invisible Glass (it's in the auto section) and use it with your newspaper. I've used a ton of cleaners and this is my favorite. It's totally different from the alcohol or ammonia-based cleaners.
I just purchased the Invisible Glass too - very impressive product. I used it with a microfiber cloth and I was amazed. I think you have to be really careful on the inside though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Invisible glass is awesome. I use paper towels and wipe the outside of the window up and down and the inside side to side that way I can see where the streak is O0

·
Registered
68 Posts
Invisible glass is the way to go, I use newspaper instead of paper towels. Seems to work better that way. The vertical wipe on one side and horozontal on the other is an awesome trick I was tought last year. I also RainX the outside of all my windows, not just the front.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Invisible glass is the way to go, I use newspaper instead of paper towels. Seems to work better that way. The vertical wipe on one side and horozontal on the other is an awesome trick I was tought last year. I also RainX the outside of all my windows, not just the front.
I mimic what Livn does. Love Invisible Glass, and other products by Stoner.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Holy GTIDude thread revival Batman!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I love Invisible Glass. I use it with a microfiber towel, but you definitely have to have the windows cooled down before you can do anything. Big issue here in Vegas.

·
Registered
162 Posts
invisible glass even with paper towels is amazing but since i got tint the place i got it tinted at suggested sprayway so i have been using that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Inside: MF rag and distilled water (tap water contains too many minerals)
Outside: Super fine glass scrub, any type glass cleaner, followed by Glass Science Rain Repellent

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Clean the ride down with your fav car cleaner (mine is eagle one) and then stoner the sh*t out of the glass. I've got vinyls on my windows and it gets even the glass around them streak free. Gotta love a Stoner product.
^_^
Like this guy
::shakes thumbs at self::

·
ô¿ô™
3,988 Posts
Any surface that does not have tint, start with windex and fine steel wool, then windex and lint-free cloth.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Any surface that does not have tint, start with windex and fine steel wool, then windex and lint-free cloth.
Dude, steel wool is going to mess that shiz up. It'll leave buff marks and actually scratch the glass. I would use the 2 sided micro fiber mitt used for car cleaning sold at walmart. It's got a mesh backside to scrub them nasty bugs and birdsh*t off the glass. Windex works okay for getting the nasty's off but I'm kinda a fan of some dishsoap in water. Helps break down the goo from bugs insides and cleans the glass right down to the actual surface. I always run over it with Invisible Glass w/ Rain-x Protectant last to give it a clear shine and layer of rain protection. IMHO it really works and lasts for a couple weeks before an new coat is NEEDED.

·
ô¿ô™
3,988 Posts
Been using steel wool all my life on windows and have never had an issue. Looks fantastic when they are done.

Taken from a window care website:

Common Myths

There are many commonly held ideas about what is, and what is not, safe to use to clean windows. Unfortunately, many of these ideas are not valid. Below is a list of the most commonly spread falsehoods about glass scratches.

Window cleaning scrapers scratch glass.
If used properly, a scraper will not scratch glass. This includes any size or style of metal scraper.

A nick in a scraper will scratch glass.
This is also incorrect. Aside from leaving sections of the glass inadequately cleaned, and nick in the scraper with not adversely affect the glass.

Steel wool (#0000) will scratch glass.
This is also false. Experimentation has shown repeatedly that #0000 steel wool with not scratch the glass surface.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Been using steel wool all my life on windows and have never had an issue. Looks fantastic when they are done.

Taken from a window care website:

Common Myths

There are many commonly held ideas about what is, and what is not, safe to use to clean windows. Unfortunately, many of these ideas are not valid. Below is a list of the most commonly spread falsehoods about glass scratches.

Window cleaning scrapers scratch glass.
If used properly, a scraper will not scratch glass. This includes any size or style of metal scraper.

A nick in a scraper will scratch glass.
This is also incorrect. Aside from leaving sections of the glass inadequately cleaned, and nick in the scraper with not adversely affect the glass.

Steel wool (#0000) will scratch glass.
This is also false. Experimentation has shown repeatedly that #0000 steel wool with not scratch the glass surface.
I'll have to check out the #0000 Steel wool. I've only had experience with higher grit SW so I'll give it a go and let you know. Interesting concept though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts