Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

best wash and wax combo?

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  banditscout 
#1 ·
i have read alot about this topic on other posts but they were all very long and complicated. if i just wanted to do a simple wash and wax and maybe some stuff for the tires what would be ur guys recomendations? dont get me wrong i want to get stuff that is good but what has lasted you guys the longest?

#2 ·
the Zaino kit is absolutely tops, and expensive and time consuming. Honestly, I wash at the car wash with pressure soap (leave the foaming brush on the wall, it's full of some other dumbass's mud, dirt and sand) and a good rinse. If I had my own driveway I'd wash with Meguir's car soap and a good auto/boat sponge.

I dry with an Absorber fake shammy.

With a new paint job I like the plain-jane carnuba wax in a bottle. You can get highltechy and use some of that dupont teflon stuff if you like, I've had good results with both.

I've spent a ton of money on various microfiber towels and they all suck. Go to Homegoods and grab the most luxurious, 100% cotton towels (white is good) you can find. They'll be about $15 each. Cut the decorative seams off and you've got the best thing available for applying, removing and buffing your baby.

Between waxings I hit it with some Quick Mist detailer and the aforementioned towels. Works great.

Oh yeah, wax those painted wheels for easier cleaning.

The Zaino Web site has some of the best tips for washing and waxing. Check it out.

#3 ·
i wash with the mr clean no need to dry thingy but i fill it with meguirs car shampoo. I use black magic wheel cleaner and tire wet(gel with the sponge not the spray) and use the wheel cleaner for my calipers. Turtle wax one pannel at a time. i use a REALLy soft tip brush and spray it with armor all to get the honey comb grill clean(07GTI). The same works well on the wheels too... As for being quick.... run it through a 5$ car wash then pick up where it left off then wax and tires... ect...ect.. one every two weeks should be good...

#4 ·
I like mostly any turtle wax car soap. Then usually go with Meguiars Tech Wax paste wax, along with some diaper soft buffing cloths.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.