Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got an annoying/nasty grind going into third gear sometimes, so I want to change the gearbox oil in my 5 speed. Hopefully that will solve it... anyways, I've been looking around at what fluids are good. All I know is that I have to get something that is easy on brass synchro's. I had my eye on penzoil synchromesh, but I also heard its too runny.

I just wanna know what kind of gear oil do you think would be best for my car? I've heard good things about Redline MT-90, but I have no clue where to buy it. (I live in Toronto, Canada). and I don't wanna order gear box fluid, hassle of dealing with shipping just for oil...

so what do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I run the syncromesh in my car. It fixed my 2nd gear grind and made shifting 10x better(110k miles) I picked it because it was locally available and I had heard good things..if it's relevant, I live in south florida

Edit: if you're up to it, I'd look into adjusting your shift linkage too. Some nice diy's online

Sent from my evo Turbo S using tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to update, I fortunately found a place that sells Redline MT-90. Just to say, i love that fluid! Immediately took away the grinding! I downshift like nobody's business without worrying of grinding my gears! Love it! Now just hoping it will stay that way for a long while. Also made my shifting smoother. Not a lot smoother because the gear stick was pretty smooth to begin with, but I noticed a difference.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
whats the best kind of search bar on myfastgti.com?

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
whats the best kind of search bar on myfastgti.com?
Not sure, it must have disappeared. Also, google must not work either.

Sent from SKYROCKET
NexusMod 4.0
some kernel

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The thing I've finally accepted is, no matter how many times you complain about people not using the search, new members are always going to ask the same questions. On top of that, forum search routines have always sucks A$$. I HATE searching on a forum, because you never get results when there are tons of articles on the subject you searched for.

With that said, it's pointless to bitch about this over and over again, since it's going to happen over and over again.. ;) Just answer their questions and move on... or don't.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thing I've finally accepted is, no matter how many times you complain about people not using the search, new members are always going to ask the same questions. On top of that, forum search routines have always sucks A$$. I HATE searching on a forum, because you never get results when there are tons of articles on the subject you searched for.

With that said, it's pointless to bitch about this over and over again, since it's going to happen over and over again.. ;) Just answer their questions and move on... or don't.
exactly. I have searched on google and on the forum search bar for a day before posting on the forum. Look up best gear oil on the search bar and see what you get. you'll get much too many results.

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
exactly. I have searched on google and on the forum search bar for a day before posting on the forum. Look up best gear oil on the search bar and see what you get. you'll get much too many results.
I typed it in google and had great results with the top ten hits, found everything fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts