Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm a GTI nubie and I'm looking to get a set or winter rims and tires. My question is are there other OEM stock rims that fit the gti? I'm trying to spend as little money as possible cause as we all know tires are not cheep.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Geez. Its not even August yet. Way to be prepared I guess. O0

I know you specified Oem stock rimz yo but why not "steelies"? Could get them cheaper maybe possibly. That way you get a little bit better winter tire. Also need to know what flavor your GTI is?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a 2008 with the FSI motor, and bone stock other that a K&N filter. I've had the car for a month now. I'd be open to running steel rims but are there a lot of 17in steel rims out there?. Does anyone run smaller wheels and tires??? I thought about running 16's with winter tires but wasn't sure if it would mess up my speedo since I have the stock 17's on my car now.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Its a 2008 with the FSI motor, and bone stock other that a K&N filter. I've had the car for a month now. I'd be open to running steel rims but are there a lot of 17in steel rims out there?. Does anyone run smaller wheels and tires??? I thought about running 16's with winter tires but wasn't sure if it would mess up my speedo since I have the stock 17's on my car now.
Okay, first you need to understand that smaller wheels do not necessarily mean a smaller overall wheel, because you make up the same diameter with a larger sidewall. The MKV came with 17 and 18" wheels, the total wheel-tire diameters are essentially the same.

17" winter tires will cost more than 16", so if you want to save, go 16. Go into your trunk and look at the full size spare. Buy that size steel wheel and that size winter tire. Tire rack sells oem vw steel wheels for a very reasonable price.

Also, a smaller wheel sometimes has a narrower profile, which is good for snow and ice. Wide tires are no good in snow. Why? Because the smaller the area of the contact patch, the greater the pressure on that patch and the better the tread siping will work on ice. Obviously there's a balance between too fat and too narrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts