Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2010 GTI and I want to gain some horse power and/or torque. I was thinking of the K&N cold intake system or an exhaust system however I only want to spend $200-300. Any suggestions?

Also, what are the specifications of the exhaust systems that would fit with my GTI?

·
Registered
763 Posts
The best thing you can do for power gains is to buy a tune. Unitronic, GIAC, REVO and APR all offer very good tunes. I wouldnt bother dropping an aftermarket intake into a stock GTi because apart from noise, you really dont get much. Best bang for your buck - tune. The prices hover around the 600 dollar mark. Worth every cent.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well its not the same as chipping because there is no actual hardware being installed in your car but it is the same in the sense that it performs a similar function. Go to the link in my signature MKV Guide and read up a bit. I have APR's tune but it is the least aggressive of the bunch and doesnt give as much flexibility in adjusting the tune to new mods. In retrospect, i would go with one of the other three. See whats available around you.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Thanks! What is the difference between the "single program" and "loaded driver programmer"?
Depends on the company, but generally, a single program is for one octane rating, ex. 93. A loaded might have Stock, 91, 93, 100. some companies also offer a 'valet mode' which restricts speed and rpms. Some also have a security function, so you have to press a bunch of buttons in sequence to activate the ignition.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
with DM a single program is the stage flash by itself which you will have to send out your ecu for. And a loaded programmer is a dongle they send you with the basic stage 1,2,and 2+ tunes so you can chose what ever tune your car is capable at that time and flash your car in your driveway and run until you upgrade and or for peace of mind knowing you wont have to drive anywhere to get it re-tuned if it was wiped off your ecu.

And then if you want k04 or f23t you buy the new tune from DM and they will send a new file to your programmer and you can flash your car yourself again.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
with DM a single program is the stage flash by itself which you will have to send out your ecu for. And a loaded programmer is a dongle they send you with the basic stage 1,2,and 2+ tunes so you can chose what ever tune your car is capable at that time and flash your car in your driveway and run until you upgrade and or for peace of mind knowing you wont have to drive anywhere to get it re-tuned if it was wiped off your ecu.

And then if you want k04 or f23t you buy the new tune from DM and they will send a new file to your programmer and you can flash your car yourself again.
That sounds fantastic.

OP, for that amount of money I would get a rear sway bar and enjoy better handling. You won't be any faster in a straight line but you'll go quicker around the corners. AND, it's an easy install to DIY. Just make sure you actually get a bigger bar than stock by a couple mm's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts