Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!;D
I bought a 2009 MK5 GTI several months ago at 63k (DSG) and its time to upgrade!
However, due to bills, college tuition and saving for a supermoto for further drives, my budget for a 350whp-400whp build is kinda lower than I wanted at around $3k-4k maybe a bit tad more depending if I get a new job or etc.
I was told Unitronic was the best and I'm planning to put a CAI, turbo back and ksport coil overs in the next few couple months as well, since I'm kinda new to the car world, I'd rather pay a shop to install most of the build for me as well (labor included in budget please!)
Can anyone tell me what's the best route to go?
Was heard Ko4, Unitronics Ko4 Frankenturbo Ko4 hybrid, and GT2871 might be my best bet but was told I would need to install new injectors as well any assistance including best ECU tuning companies, setups/ builds, warnings and etc. would be appreciated!
Thank you guys!

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Your budget is not really realistic, especially when installed at a shop, unless you want to be tinkering with it forever due to cheap parts, etc.

to get 350-400 whp which is approximately 410-470 crank hp you will need much more than just a turbo and tuning. You will need to beef up your fueling system, including injectors and possibly a new lpfp. It would be a pointless build without installing a lsd unless you like doing a one wheel wonder burn out. This is typically the higher end of power the 2.0T is tuned to without being some sort of special high end build.

Search the forums and see what other shave done to get to the power level.

My suggestion is to just buy a all-in-one kit with a specific tune all ready to go and sacrifice a little bit of horsepower. CTS, HPA, APR all have tried and true kits.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard some people run a tune that doesn't involve new injectors or lpfp, what would you recommend for a k04 install on the low-end that could be safe on good parts including average whp.
I want to try to increase my budget just seems kinda
impossible with college tuition right now.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
I'm not doing research for you, but a reliable 400 whp system, without supporting mods will run you $4-5k. Full build $8-10k.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cts-parts/stage-3-turbocharger-kit/mk62.0tsikitbb~c/

You can shop around and find different combos of frankenstein'ed turbos and corresponding tunes. FT kits use k04 hybrids which won't get you 400 whp, you need a BT (big turbo) kit, CTS, APR, etc.

If you cheap out trying to get 400 whp, expect things to go wrong. It's not something you do a budget build on, or at least expect it to be turn-key. It might take you two years to piece together everything.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I was going to reply to..."I'd rather pay a shop to install most of the build for me as well"...there goes your $4k budget right there.

Your budget will get you most of the parts and pieces needed...it will not install anything and you will be left without a tune for it all. Then, once you near 375 whp...you need to begin being concerned about the strength of the internals...namely the connecting rods.

I couldn't even get into a K04 for sub $4k with install help. It was well over $7k. That CTS stage 3 linked for you? It doesn't include fmic or injectors or upgraded hpfp...there's another $2k plus...and there will be more. Do your homework, search big turbo build threads, and start a log of everything you really need or don't and their price. Probably going to spend another $3k to $4k on labor to install most of it.

Best bet is go K04 with meth or custom tune it for E85...these will get your near or over 350whp. You just need a $1500 K04 turbo/exhaust mani and $500 MK6 golf R injectors.
But first, get your intake, exhaust, boost plumbing, fmic, and hpfp upgrade installed...also, a meth kit if chosen.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Could work out best by taking steps to get there. Intake, DP & exhaust, & a tune...but choose a tuner that can help later should you do more because they will likely only charge a portion for the upgrade to your tuning. I had GIAC stage 1 for a few years and when I did the K04 it only cost me another $150. Later you can add a FMIC when you can. Then you are ready to decide on the turbo upgrade and all you need is the turbo & manifold, hpfp internals, and injectors. Rods if you expect to get near 380 whp. Electric fuel pump upgrade is likely if you go big turbo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts