Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

It's been a while, but I'm back. I've had my GTI for about 6 months now and she's running strong except....

I finally saved up some cash and I was on my way to the tuner to get the APR ECU upgrade, CAI, and coil-overs installed, when some b!$%h on the highway cut me off and forced me into another lane. Just as soon as I got my car straight in the lane, I nailed about a 3" deep pothole that I had absolutely no time to maneuver around. Needless to say, I blew out my front left tire. It didn't appear that I cracked my 18" huf, but the whole tire/ rim is at the VW dealership waiting to get the replacement in. Anyways, I felt good about everything...got the new tire ordered, alignment appointment setup, etc. when my buddy mentioned that I could've bent my frame. He said that he hit a curb with his Oldsmobile Aurora a few years back and apparently bent the frame (which is non-repairable). I know they'll be able to tell for sure next Wednesday when I go in for the alignment, but I need some peace of mind until then. Is it possible I bent my frame? I figured I was straight in the lane when I hit the pothole. Yes, it sent me for a pretty good jolt, but it ultimately didn't crack the rim and if anything was damaged, I figured it'd be the shock. Let me know your opinions...I love my GTI and if I bent the frame, I'm going to fall into a horrific state of depression. :'(

·
Registered
530 Posts
I really don't believe you bent your frame. It is possible that you did damage to some of your suspension/steering components, but these are replaceable. Frame damage is normally caused by collision, not pot holes. Your Fast should fair well.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If you look at an Oldsmobile the wrong way, you can bend the frame. I really don't think you can bend your frame hitting a pothole straight on - you should be fine. If you are that worried ask the alignment guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.