Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Ive had my 03 1.8t gti for some time now and all of a sudden my battery keeps dyeing and i just recently changed the alternator because I thought that may have been the problem but it wasn't. Can anyone gimme a hint or tip as to what's goin on?

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Re: Battery Keeps Dyeing

Haha. Probably battery like they said. Take it to autozone or wherever and get the free test

·
Registered
556 Posts

If you have a Sears out where you like you can drive up to some that have a Battery Test place. Thats where I take my car when I think I have an issue because they will check the battery, alternator, and other electrical issues for free, that way you dont just buy parts trying to solve an unknown problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I've gone through three batteries. That's why I said my battery keeps dyeing but if you wanna get all technical, my batteries keep dyeing lol I'm thinking there's a faulty wire somewhere. Perhaps the wire leading from the alternator to the battery.

·
Registered
256 Posts

with that said it's some cause of parasitic voltage drain. do you have anything aftermarket hooked up? amps? aftermarket radio, anything in the engine that might be drawing voltage? led lights, whatever... it doesn't take much at all for a little parasitic voltage drain to completely kill a battery. you can pop the negative battery terminal off the car and measure from the chassis to the negative terminal to get a voltage number. you shouldn't be getting more than .05 amps of drain, any more and it will probably kill your battery in a matter of a few days, running or not...could be a relay sticking open, bad wire somewhere along the line... if you get a large drop you can start checking fuses to see where the voltage drain is coming from... just pull one fuse at a time and watch to see when the voltage goes from say .05 to 0 and you've found a possibility... to really diagnose the problem though first look at anything that was put into the car that's not factory, then start checking fuses...

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts

DYING
DYING
DYING
DYING
DYING
DYING
DYING
DYING
DYING
DYING
DYING
DYING
DYING
DYING
DYING
DYING

get one of these for $10 at walmart

Turn the knob to 20v DC scale
with engine off, place red wire on + battery post and black wire on - batterty post. should read between 11.5v and 13.5v
Start engine and turn headlights on (alternator should kick on) read the voltage again, should read ~13.6-15v
If it remains the same or less than what it did with the car off, your alternator os done or there is a loose wire to the alternator

also include in your post how long between putting in a new battery and it DYING

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.