Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so a week ago i go to start my mkiv and it wont start. assuming its a dead battery, i go to jump it.... still nothing. so i call a tow truck and get it towed to my mechanic, who keeps it for a few days. the mechanic calls me, and is baffled. says that the 'key is not responding to the computer' and that they can not get it to start. so i then had to get it towed to the dealership. as soon as i get there, the customer service rep (not even a mechanic) comes out and jumps my car and it runs. no problems at all. so they install a new battery and im good to go.
so now here i am, exactly a week after i got my car back, and i go to start my gti and it runs for a few seconds, then turns off. again and again the same thing happens. remembering the 'key' idea that my mechanic had, i try using my old key. and guess what?
its starts and runs fine. so now my car will only start (and stay running) with my old key. and occasionally it will start with my new key. but with the new key in the ignition when its running, i have a light on my dashboard (car with a key inside) that wont go away

what could be happening?!?![help]

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
so a week ago i go to start my mkiv and it wont start. assuming its a dead battery, i go to jump it.... still nothing. so i call a tow truck and get it towed to my mechanic, who keeps it for a few days. the mechanic calls me, and is baffled. says that the 'key is not responding to the computer' and that they can not get it to start. so i then had to get it towed to the dealership. as soon as i get there, the customer service rep (not even a mechanic) comes out and jumps my car and it runs. no problems at all. so they install a new battery and im good to go.
so now here i am, exactly a week after i got my car back, and i go to start my gti and it runs for a few seconds, then turns off. again and again the same thing happens. remembering the 'key' idea that my mechanic had, i try using my old key. and guess what?
its starts and runs fine. so now my car will only start (and stay running) with my old key. and occasionally it will start with my new key. but with the new key in the ignition when its running, i have a light on my dashboard (car with a key inside) that wont go away

what could be happening?!?![help]
The immobilizer is being triggered with your new key which means that it needs to be reprogrammed or replaced...

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
That dash light is the dreaded IMOBILIZER! Arg, those are a bitch. Get your Key FOB and imobilizer snyched. This has to be done at the dealership. You can look up the DIY but if you mess it up you'll be super screwed. I think it's in the user manuals towards the back. Programming a Key FOB. Try that, should work.

Does the car even try to roll over when you turn the key? Also, if you try to start it without the clutch pushed in, you'll have to turn the key off, push in the clutch, and re-turn the key. Safety procuations by VW.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sorry to post here not my thread but just a quick question

Some of you have seen the post about my issues with the battery, right before this happened i used my second key.But i was able to jump it and drive with no lights or anything. Could this have anything to do with the problem?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Sorry to post here not my thread but just a quick question

Some of you have seen the post about my issues with the battery, right before this happened i used my second key.But i was able to jump it and drive with no lights or anything. Could this have anything to do with the problem?
If you didn't have the same light different issue unfortunately... Depends on the year tho

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
its a 2005 1.8t

I dont think its the problem, just a thought when i saw the thread.
Yea if you had the immo prob you'd be going through the same stuff as the OP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.