Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Purchased a used 2008 GTI MKV that has its battery drain overnight and will not start. With a very high precision clamp-on DC current meter, I measure about 530 milliamps current drain constantly from battery. I pulled every fuse and found that Fuse SB19 (F19) under hood fuse box is the offending circuit. When I pull this fuse the current drain drops to less than 10 ma. If I pull this fuse the car runs and drives normal with no current drain and no battery dieing. With further investigation, I learned this is the radio circuit. The car has original factory Premium 7 radio. Assuming a faulty radio, I pulled the dash apart and removed the radio. The current drain is unchanged with the radio removed. I am unaware and cannot find any literature/web references to any other vehicle devices being powered by Fuse SB19 (F19) on the 2008 GTI MKV, but assume that something else is on this circuit (fuse) draining current. Any ideas? Thanks.[help]

·
Registered
385 Posts
2008 GTI MKV battery drains overnight and will not start. With a very high precision clamp on DC current meter, I measure about 530 milliamps current drain constantly from battery. I pulled every fuse and found that Fuse SB19 (F19) under hood fuse box is the offending circuit. When I pull this fuse the current drain drops to less than 10 ma. If I pull this fuse the car runs and drives normal with no current drain and no battery dieing. With further investigation, I learned this is the radio circuit. The car has original factory Premium 7 radio. Assuming a faulty radio, I pulled the dash apart and removed the radio. The current drain is unchanged with the radio removed. I am unaware and cannot find any literature/web references to any other vehicle devices being powered by Fuse SB19 (F19) on the 2008 GTI MKV, but assume that something else is on this circuit (fuse) draining current. Any ideas? Thanks.[help]
Just a guess, is there a bluetooth module in the car?
My oe BT is on that circuit, but it is not factory wired (it is all oe parts), so it may not be relevant.
When powered up, does your radio show any error codes in a VAG-COM scan?
When present, you can also scan the oe bluetooth modules for errors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
dataton - Thanks for the reply. This vehicle does not have a bluetooth module, but that is the sort of advice I am seeking... information on any other sources of current draw on SB19 fused circuit in a 2008 GTI.

I am assuming that something else is powered by this circuit and it is drawing continuously about 500 milliamps, regardless of vehicle on - off status. This constant drain is killing the battery in a few days. I am also investigating if there is a wire chafe or other short in the radio power supply harness leading to the radio connector.

Everyone, including local dealer, seemed surprised that unplugging and completely removing the radio didn't kill the current drain through fused SB19 "radio" circuit.

I don't have a VAG-COM tool (... only an older Autotap obd II tool (~2005) prior to CAN interface compatibility). Perhaps I will buy one from Ross-Tech.

I guess I was holding out that someone might be familiar with devices powered by the SB19 fuse even with the radio disconnected ... like your idea of a bluetooth module.

Dealer mentioned something about a "body control module" perhaps pulling power from SB19... but I can find no reference to that having anything to do with this circuit... plus if I pull the fuse and kill the current drain, it does not effect the vehicle performance in any way. I am suspicious of vehicle security system, but can find nothing to back up my concerns. Obviously I would benefit from a vehicle schematic showing the SB19 circuit, but I don't have one.
Thanks again for your good idea - bjdinnc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Update...

So we were looking into possible chafe shorts and similar in the radio harness that would be allowing for current to flow even when the radio is removed. We found that the harness is all original ... EXCEPT !!! ... that there was some electrical tape about three inches prior to the OEM radio connector.

When we removed the tape we discovered that the wire that supplies continuous 12v+ supply to the radio connector plug 2 pin 15 and the wire for the Control Signal for Anti-Theft System (SAFE) plug 2 pin 16 had both been cut, stripped and crimped together with some sort of fancy wire crimp clamp... with two new pig tails leading from the other end of this wire crimp connector to pins 15 and 16 on plug 2 (see picture). None of this looks stock, so we disassembled and rewired back to what made more sense. Has anyone see anything like this before? ???

photo.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 GTI (bought used) and have been experiencing similar battery drain problem. Mechanic diagnosed it to the radio and recommended I just leave the fuse out.

@bjdinnc, did you ever figure it out? Did the drain go away after rewiring? I'd like to check this on my car--where did you find the crimped wires that you showed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts