Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,
I was in my GTI last week and it suddenly turned off while in drive. I pushed it off the road “sigh” and called my VW Dealership where they said “upon this incident if you car will turn on and no service lights exist or remain on the dash, then its safe to drive”, where I then immediately drove it to the dealership. Two days later I was told by the service dept the fuel pump is bad, and other GTIs are also having the same issue. Something to do with my serial number falling into a bracket of serials that are to be replaced my malfunction only. Scary right? They will fix my car if it turns off by itself! Anyways, warranty covered, they pay for my rental, I have been now without my GTI for 8 days as the pump is still on order along with 8 others they say. Has anyone else seen or heard of this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Has not happened to me, at least not yet. Can you provide more info on your GTI, what year, when you purchased it, etc. Maybe fuel pump part number?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thanks! I thought maybe it would be more helpful to others if we had more info!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I called the dealer and the only comment on the diagnoses was “our computer returns a fault code that is specific to a faulty pump”. They also said, “It’s not always the pump” but the mechanism sending the fuel, something to do with the fuel pressure? Sorry not to technical here, as they were being some what vague. Anyways, 10 days later and I’m still without my GTI.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got mine back after 8 days.... Fuel pump went out and it took them a week. Is this a common problem? My fast got 9600 miles...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does anyone know if it's the low pressure fuel pump in the gas tank? Or is it the high pressure fuel pump up front? One's easy to get to, the other is very difficult. Just want to know in case it happens to me later on.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Ecoterragaia said:
Does anyone know if it's the low pressure fuel pump in the gas tank? Or is it the high pressure fuel pump up front? One's easy to get to, the other is very difficult. Just want to know in case it happens to me later on.
The FSI or "Fuel Straight Injection" has a high pressure fuel pump, 110-120 bar or around 2000+ psi. It is located up front. I stole some pics off of Vortex to illustrate its location. Also, a fairly easy wasy for us to see if we have the older or newer version of the part. Based off of this dyno it looks like the older pump is going to cause some real starvaion issues on chipped and opened up (air) cars.

EDIT: I deleted these images from my files...sorry

And then there is of course conflicting information that the pumps both have the same spec flow rate:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2339563&page=4#25885469

Decide for yourself after some research., (I'm still on the fence waiting for an aftermarket setup that doesn't cost a grand.)

·
Registered
530 Posts
22350 said:
Ecoterragaia said:
The FSI or "Fuel Straight Injection" has a high pressure fuel pump, 110-120 bar or around 2000+ psi. It is located up front. I stole some pics off of Vortex to illustrate its location. Also, a fairly easy wasy for us to see if we have the older or newer version of the part. Based off of this dyno it looks like the older pump is going to cause some real starvaion issues on chipped and opened up (air) cars.

And then there is of course conflicting information that the pumps both have the same spec flow rate:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2339563&page=4#25885469

Decide for yourself after some research., (I'm still on the fence waiting for an aftermarket setup that doesn't cost a grand.)
My last letter is "H" if I can get a good pic I'll post it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Here ya go:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar problem. At anything above 180 KMPH the car cuts out. The first time it happened I also thought the car died on me. The car has about 10% power and it only lasts for 30 -60 seconds. IÂ’m sure the computer cuts the fuel. My theory is the car runs too lean and the computer protects the motor. IÂ’ve been @ VW to have this checked out 3 times now and they said they canÂ’t find the problem on the diagnostics. I even had the service guy drive with me and showed him. He confirmed the problem with the fuel pump and changed the pump. If anything itÂ’s worse now. Not sure where to from here. :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Full throttle said:
I had a similar problem. At anything above 180 KMPH the car cuts out. The first time it happened I also thought the car died on me. The car has about 10% power and it only lasts for 30 -60 seconds. IÂ'm sure the computer cuts the fuel. My theory is the car runs too lean and the computer protects the motor. IÂ've been @ VW to have this checked out 3 times now and they said they canÂ't find the problem on the diagnostics. I even had the service guy drive with me and showed him. He confirmed the problem with the fuel pump and changed the pump. If anything itÂ's worse now. Not sure where to from here. :mad:
Did they check replace the fuel pressure regulator?

Is the engine modded at all or stock?

·
Registered
3 Posts
No mod, itÂ’s stock STD. They told me to bring my car in to correct the fuel pressure. I was under the impression that they replaced a pump and a regulator, but IÂ’m not that sure any more. IÂ’ll ask for the report on what was done tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
According to my VW service centre they did replace the pump and the regulator. These are the part numbers:
06F127025J
06F127213B

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.