Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. So I've had my GTI for about 6 months. I got a stock GTI with the DSG transmission and the 18" hufeisen. I'm getting ready to get that APR chip >:D, and am also interested in getting my car onto the track or autocross to see what its really made of. I've never been to an event like that, and am wondering whether I would like foolish showing up to the track or autocross event with my DSG tranmission. Any input is appreciated. ???

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Tornado_Red_MKV said:
I've never been to an event like that, and am wondering whether I would like foolish showing up to the track or autocross event with my DSG tranmission. Any input is appreciated. ???
Here is a great primer for what to expect at your first autoX:

http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=868&start=0&rid=0

Check google for a local autoX club near you.

Run what you brung, don't worry about an LSD, go out and have fun.

(as long as you beat these cars- your doing good ;D)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Take a front-wheel-drive vehicle like the GTI for example: the two front wheels cannot be joined by a solid, single axle because your outside wheel needs to rotate faster when you go around corners. This problem is solved by using a differential. It allows the engine's power to be transmitted to the wheels and also allows the two wheels to spin independently. Problem is that with most stock differentials, when the wheels lose grip (like on ice, sand, or during a hard launch, etc) only one wheel will spin (and since power will go to the path of least resistance, this means the one with the least grip is the one spinning.) A limited slip differential (LSD) will react if the two wheels spin at a drastically different rate. Most use either clutches or viscous couplers to mate the two axleshafts together when one loses grip.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Tornado_Red_MKV said:
That link was very helpful, thanks. BTW, was is LSD? (unless you mean acid, in that case I will pass for my first time out)
Yeah- autoX and Lysergic acid diethylamide don't mix. Drugs are are bad mmmmmmkay? :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I want it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.