Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm actually a newbie to this forum. I bought my 2013 GTI last saturday and it's my first VW car. I was driving Honda until then. So, I have some questions:
1. Audio turns off when I turn off the ignition. I found out that I can turn it back on by pressing the power button, but it turns off automatically a few minute later. Is there anyway that I can just listen to music without starting the ignition and not turning off automatically? (like accessory mode in other cars).
2. I noticed that my MFI speedometer is slightly off the analog speedometer. It seems like the MFI one is reacting slowly and giving me 1 mile less than the analog speedometer's one. Is it normal?

Thanks in advance!

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
I have not been in a 2013, but on older GTI

The radio stayed on until you removed the key from the ignition

And if you press the power button while the car was off (no key in ignition) the radio would turn on and turn off automatically after 1 hour.

From my Note 2

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey I just got mine on the 26th. Idk about the mfi speedo thing I'll have to check that out, but in regards to the radio, do u have kessy? In that case you can listen to your radio without having the engine running, but as you said it will turn off after an amount of time. I'll go do a run real quick and get back to you about the speedo

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
When I turn off the car and press the power button on the radio, it stays on until I get out of the car. Not sure how long I've left it running, but it was longer than ten minutes I think. The analog speedometer is usually faster than the digital. The car manufacturers do this so you won't drive as fast.

Sent from that Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok this is what I found. In the owners manual, it says that even when you turn the radio on without the car being on, the radio will automatically shut off after approximately 30 min
On the speedo thing I drove at 25,35, 45, and 50 miles an hour. The speedo is accurate within one mph. I figure this is bc the speedo doesn't show "tenth" of a mile. I.e. if you are driving 44.4 miles an hour, the electronic speedo will show 44 while your analog needle is so close to 45 that that's what you see. And the other way around, if you're driving 44.6 mph it'll show 45 on the electronic speedo. This is when your analog speedo should match it the best. If your car is off more than that, there might be an issue, maybe other mk6 owners will chime in on the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies, everyone!
I think my speedometer is okay since it's only off by 1 mile, and the analog one is faster.
But, I noticed that the audio turns off in 30 mins even when I put my key in (with out ignition).
Also, Bluetooth doesn't work when i turn it on without putting in the key.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thank you for the replies, everyone!
I think my speedometer is okay since it's only off by 1 mile, and the analog one is faster.
But, I noticed that the audio turns off in 30 mins even when I put my key in (with out ignition).
Also, Bluetooth doesn't work when i turn it on without putting in the key.
You mean putting the key in without turning it at all?or turning it one click. I have no idea about the BT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You mean putting the key in without turning it at all?or turning it one click. I have no idea about the BT
I mean without turning it at all. I think there are only 3 steps:
1.not turning it at all
2.one click(which also turns on AC and the display indicates battery picture)
3.starting engine
Usually, other cars have accessory mode between 1 and 2. But, I don't think my GTI has that.

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
I mean without turning it at all. I think there are only 3 steps:
1.not turning it at all
2.one click(which also turns on AC and the display indicates battery picture)
3.starting engine
Usually, other cars have accessory mode between 1 and 2. But, I don't think my GTI has that.
Read the manual

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah I read through it and it seems there's no way around the automatic off timer for the radio, I guess you'll just have to turn it back on once in a while...

·
Registered
385 Posts
automatic accessory power shut off

Yeah I read through it and it seems there's no way around the automatic off timer for the radio, I guess you'll just have to turn it back on once in a while...
You can not disable the timeout, and you probably do not want to.
You can repeatedly delay it.
The timer accessory power shut-off system is activated when the key is removed.
However, the timer resets every time a door / hatch opens or closes,
or of course, if the ignition key cycles.
Its possible an unlock signal from the remote may reset it too,
but I am not certain on that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts