Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how close anyone else has been following APR's Stage III release, but I just figured I'd start a thread on it because I'm getting pretty anxious! So far, I've been hearing numbers around 360 hp @ the crank. Haven't heard of any definite torque figures. Anyways, I was informed that they're still tuning it a bit and to expect slightly better numbers than that. Kit will cost around $6k-7k and includes a bigger turbo, better FMIC, better fuel pump, bigger fuel injectors, and a whole slew of other components to make the upgrade to a BT smooth. It does seem a little expensive to me, but I'm definitely following it closely and maybe with my sign-on bonus next spring my GTI will get a treat... Anyways, post your thoughts, questions, comments, concerns! O0

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
do u have to have apr stage I/II inorder to get stage III?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some controversy is that people who jump straight from non-staged to Stage III get a better deal than customers who already have purchased Stage 1 and or II. This is because you get an entirely new and loaded ECU regardless of a previous purchase of stage I or II. Also, there is a new Cat that comes with the stage III that replaces the one on the APR downpipe from stage II. Over on vortex, the people are feeling like they should get some sort of reimbursement for their stage I and stage II purchases, since stage III is not really an "upgrade", but a whole new bunch of components that replace existing ones that may or may not have been bought from previous stage upgrades. I'm still on-board either way, but just thought I'd point this out!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WaZzAp1101 said:
lumns said:
do u have to have apr stage I/II inorder to get stage III?
Stage I is the carbonio intake, APR program and the tbe, nd I think Stage II is an ecu flash that does something else.
Stage I is just the reflash. Stage II is the downpipe, FMIC, intake, and the stage II reflash. O0

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
hmmmmm....

sooo u dont need ne previous stages to get to Stage II/III

i know that stage I is like $600 how much is stage II?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I mean stage II/III are just sets of components. So, you will need the reflash for stage II. However, if you had stage I reflash, you get the upgrade for free. Stage II total (with the reflash, DP, FMIC, Intake) would run you about ~$3,000 (assuming you went with all APR stuff as priced on their site). This is ~$500 for the reflash, $1200 for the APR downpipe and catback, $1000 for the FMIC, and $250 for the Carbonio intake. This is on the high side because a.) it's off the top of my head b/c I'm too lazy to check and b.)this is APR's prices and you could go with a different brand DP/ exhaust setup.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd just like to add that, from what I've been reading on another forum, if you're planning on doing stage III and haven't done anything else yet, you'll save yourself money by jumping directly to stage III. Again, has to do with replacement of components from APR's previous "stages." Also, with stage III you get a fully loaded ECU w/ stage III programs. I remember reading somewhere that if you had a reflash previously you get this for free. I don't remember seeing a price for this otherwise, so I could be wrong. I'll keep you updated as I find stuff out!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
ok...thanks. Right now all i have is a P-Flo. Im graduating this december and hopefully have an income where i can save for GTI goodies.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, I know man. I'm graduating in May and cannot wait to start my job so I'll have some good cash to put into tuning. The whole not going to class thing will be great as well. O0

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys. I am scheduled to get the Stage III installed next week or the following. I have already put a deposit down of 50%. I currently am running a stage 1 revo which I like but I figured I will jump all in with the APR. I am getting everything the Kit has ie fuel pump, DV, Full exhaust, Turbo upgrade, all the software. I am also considering H&P coil overs and upgraded brakes with Brembo. We will have to wait and see how mch funds I have left. Anyways I thought I would post some of the progress here. Let me know if this is something you guys would want to hear about.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Hey guys. I am scheduled to get the Stage III installed next week or the following. I have already put a deposit down of 50%. I currently am running a stage 1 revo which I like but I figured I will jump all in with the APR. I am getting everything the Kit has ie fuel pump, DV, Full exhaust, Turbo upgrade, all the software. I am also considering H&P coil overs and upgraded brakes with Brembo. We will have to wait and see how mch funds I have left. Anyways I thought I would post some of the progress here. Let me know if this is something you guys would want to hear about.
Nahhh- we don't want to hear about it- we just wanna see the pictures.:D

What DV is included with the package?

Is your MkV manual or semi-manual?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry of the delay. My GTI is Manual. Today I received my R GTI badge emblem from VW in Germany. I want to basically recreate the R-GTI and since APR was the shop that did the original for VW I thought the APR stage III would be the way to go. APR told me that the Stage III kit is basically the set up they used in the R-GTI concept.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I thought stage II was just TBE and Intake + reflash??

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
I thought stage II was just TBE and Intake + reflash??
pretty much. thats what i will eventually top out at. you can always throw on a FMIC for a bit more fun. but a cai, stage 2 reflash and a tbe is all you need to go to stage 2. thats what the apr sight says anyhow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I dropped my GTI off yesterday at a local tuning shop here that does alot of APR work. I have the Revo Stage I which will get flashed obviously. The Stage III turbo kit requires a whole new software flash separate for I or II. I think my GTI will be done by next Saturday but I will be in there taking photos and helping out a little so I will let you guys know how it goes. My next step will be the H&R coil overs and some bigger brakes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Anyways I thought I would post some of the progress here. Let me know if this is something you guys would want to hear about.
Nah, who wants to hear about it. What do you think we are? a bunch of GTI Tuner Junkies? LOL.

Hell Yeah I'd love to hear about it and pics too please! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
So to sum everything up, if you plan on turboing your car be patient and wait to go big? Anyone run into any problems i.e. need a bigger badder intercooler or have to upgrade basic components? guess what i'm trying to figure out is if you should turbo then make everything able to handle it or the oposite...

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
you should turbo?
you should already be turbo'ed, im confused.

doctorgti...what the hell happened? where are the pics, the stories?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts