Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home from class today on Rt 30 East, and what appeared to be a 1999 era Subaru STI pulled up behind me, it was debadged and appeared to be modded. Anyway, he was riding my ass alittle, so I decided to give in and play. My MKV has an APR Stage 1 tune and an SRI by the way.

As soon as the lane to my left opened up, he switched lanes and we went at it. We were neck and neck for awhile, he began to pull ahead a little bit when we just about hit 100 mph, but I had slowed down to the speed limit due to traffic getting thick up ahead of me.

I'm alittle confused about whether his Subie was a WRX or an STI; if I'm not mistaken, they didn't make a 1990's generation Impreza WRX, only the Impreza STI. If it was an STI, it would make sense why he was still pulling on me alittle towards the end, since it was modded.

Can anyone confirm? I googled it, but still couldn't find a straight answer.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...Meant to post this under the "MKV vs the Competition" thread, derp...

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Moved. It wasn't a WRX if it was a 1999 model year, as the WRX wasn't introduced in the states until MY2002. It was more likely a 2.5 RS.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Moved. It wasn't a WRX if it was a 1999 model year, as the WRX wasn't introduced in the states until MY2002. It was more likely a 2.5 RS.
Yeah...now that I'm looking at them online, I'm realizing it was most likely a 2004+ year model modded WRX. The hood only had the scoop without the vents that the 1990's RS did. Not to mention that would make sense why he was slightly pulling ahead of me.

EDIT: I figured it out; it was a modded 2002 WRX Impreza.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Yeah, a modded STI would rape you at stage1, wrx's are in our ball park with stage 1 or 2. And I've found the majority of STI owners like the rock the badges... since subaru has 11,000 different impreza models.

Interesting note, the smaller hood scoops on the wrx's don't do jack, the wind blows right over them. The STI scoop does a better job, but it's still not as efficient as a fmic. Proof: I see some wrx's driving in the snow, all the snow (super dry powder) blows off their hood except for the area around the scoop, the air flow has already lifted off the hood and is hitting the windshield.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Shoot I took a 2004 WRX's in my stage 2 MKIV. However, when we hit 110 or so I can see them start to get closer and closer. Their top end is pretty awesome looking at how fast he was gaining on me. He had an exhaust and that's about all I know.

From a roll at 60 I can initially get 1.5-2 cars on this one I raced.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Lol, thnk god u figured out it wasnt an rs, u would have been toughen on for years. For those who dint know, the rs is a n/a 2.5. And I have beat several modded wrxs, mostly due to DSG. I also took down a stock sti(05) cuz the dumb as shifted to 2nd at 80mph

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, thnk god u figured out it wasnt an rs, u would have been toughen on for years. For those who dint know, the rs is a n/a 2.5. And I have beat several modded wrxs, mostly due to DSG. I also took down a stock sti(05) cuz the dumb as shifted to 2nd at 80mph
Yeah, thank god. I got thrown off because I didn't realize the 2002 generation WRX's had those big-A$$ foglights as well as the 1999 Imprezas, I was getting worried. Then I remembered the 2.5 RS's have those little fake vents on the hood in addition to the scoop, which this WRX didn't have, in addition I matched the taillights of this guy's car to the 2002 WRX. Too many different exterior characteristics on those cars, haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts