Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a thread dedicated to all things chipping, but if you want specific information about APR software, look here.

·
Registered
285 Posts
has to be the best chip out of all the chips. The mkv with apr is less likely to have any problem. Friends with revo or giac tend to always have some kind of problem. It's a little more expensive but it is defeneatly worth it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
manricky said:
has to be the best chip out of all the chips. The mkv with apr is less likely to have any problem. Friends with revo or giac tend to always have some kind of problem. It's a little more expensive but it is defeneatly worth it.
I have yet to hear of any problems with GIAC....What did you hear?

I've got GIAC and it's the best thing I have done to date.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am looking at getting the apr chip for my gti. But I am stationed in Germany and really don't want to send my ecu over to the states to have it loaded. Do you know if APR can just send you the program and do it from my lap top?

·
Registered
245 Posts
REVO, had problems right out of the gate... (no shifting, incorrect settings, wrong ECU version)

APR Took it VERY safe and made me upgrade my ECU first, then due to the fact they made me upgrade first, gave me 3 programs for the price of 1. I love being able to change between Stock/91/93

·
Registered
749 Posts
badassvw said:
I am looking at getting the apr chip for my gti. But I am stationed in Germany and really don't want to send my ecu over to the states to have it loaded. Do you know if APR can just send you the program and do it from my lap top?
Unfortunately, I do believe you have to have the ECU physically modified by APR or a dealer. I'm pretty sure after they've had their way with your ECU, you can install new modules or updates via PC but the initial upgrade involves a hardware change. Check out their European distributors:

http://www.goapr.com/VW/dealer/locator.php?cntry=USA&locationFound=other&other_list=Europe

I can't get any of the websites to come up now because I'm on a .mil network, but you could try telephoning them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
okay this is what happenes with my friends with revo.

The car overheats way to quick loosing power. When racing there is times when the cars decide not to catch boost after shifting. These 2 are the most problematic reasons why i think revo is a unstable chip. High spikes then it does not hold boost and bleeds a lot. While apr holds 1 psi less but holds it better throught the rpm power band.

my friends have had problems when installing full turbo back system with giac. They for some reason start boosting 1-3 psi less. Giac is know for being the most powerful chip but only drives good at wot or no gas at all.
Apr is just the most reliable and you really can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Please, let me - For you, 22350 wot=wide open thottle

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
manricky said:
okay this is what happenes with my friends with revo.

The car overheats way to quick loosing power. When racing there is times when the cars decide not to catch boost after shifting. These 2 are the most problematic reasons why i think revo is a unstable chip. High spikes then it does not hold boost and bleeds a lot. While apr holds 1 psi less but holds it better throught the rpm power band.

my friends have had problems when installing full turbo back system with giac. They for some reason start boosting 1-3 psi less. Giac is know for being the most powerful chip but only drives good at wot or no gas at all.
Apr is just the most reliable and you really can't go wrong with it.
GIAC is made to run with 2.5" piping so if they are dropping 3" pipes on they are probably not getting the most power they can out of it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
22350 said:
NVGTI said:
Please, let me - For you, 22350 wot=wide open thottle
Youre a good man Charlie Brown [cheers]
I'm just here to help! ;D :ignore:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I called up J3 Motorsports in Buford, GA to ask about APR prices. $500 for one program. That is standard. But, they want $49 to install it. Is that reasonable? Also, they told me they would sell me an Audi TT DV for 35. Can the Audi DV handle the increased psi?

I have a MkIV 1.8T (2005).

Thanks,

·
Registered
15 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
badassvw said:
Unfortunately, I do believe you have to have the ECU physically modified by APR or a dealer. I'm pretty sure after they've had their way with your ECU, you can install new modules or updates via PC but the initial upgrade involves a hardware change. Check out their European distributors:

http://www.goapr.com/VW/dealer/locator.php?cntry=USA&locationFound=other&other_list=Europe

I can't get any of the websites to come up now because I'm on a .mil network, but you could try telephoning them.
Driving to Berlin tomorrow to have a dealer put in my APR chip. Will let you know how it does at the Nordschleife race track after the 4th!!!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
powermoose1 said:
I called up J3 Motorsports in Buford, GA to ask about APR prices. $500 for one program. That is standard. But, they want $49 to install it. Is that reasonable? Also, they told me they would sell me an Audi TT DV for 35. Can the Audi DV handle the increased psi?

I have a MkIV 1.8T (2005).

Thanks,
i would go aftermarket. then you know it will definitly hold the boost.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts