Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of getting a small base rabbit for my GF since I completly took over the GTI... and plus she really doesnt care about the turbo or all mods I'm doing on it... in fact it just makes her more nervous to drive it...

So anyone as one? or tried one? Are they made in Mexico? Worth the 20+K they cost?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I think only Jettas are made in Mexico. Passats and Golfs all made in Wolfsburg, from what I heard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got offthe phone with VW dealer...
Looks like my girlfriend will be driving a blue Rabbit in about a month or so... ;)

(I can keep the GTI for me... hehe...)

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
It's disgusting how expensive cars are in Canada relative to the States. As a banker I've dealt with several customers lately wiring large sums of money to the States to buy cars there and drive them north. Even after duties and sales tax they come out thousands ahead, tens of thousands on luxury cars.

Well, I saw the first Rabbit commercial on a Canadian channel today and at the end it said "starting at $19,999". That's $18K US! Went to vw.ca and configured a Rabbit with all the options, basically it's a base GTI with smaller wheels and a weaker engine and configured it up to $26,555CAD. That's just under $24K US, more than what some of you claim to have gotten your GTIs for!

It just angers me that even with a new car release like this one, they're still pricing them for a 75 cent $C, when it's been at 90 cents for nearly a year.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thalo said:
I think only Jettas are made in Mexico. Passats and Golfs all made in Wolfsburg, from what I heard.
Yes they are made in Wolfsburg, Germany. But they are separated at birth from the fast so the GTI's don't catch the slow bug. >:D

·
Registered
952 Posts
batdelfuego said:
I was thinking of getting a small base rabbit for my GF since I completly took over the GTI... and plus she really doesnt care about the turbo or all mods I'm doing on it... in fact it just makes her more nervous to drive it...

So anyone as one? or tried one? Are they made in Mexico? Worth the 20+K they cost?
20+?
Final assembly point - Wolfsburg Germany
Starting msrp - $14990
Lot of standard equipment including 5 cyl, abs, esp,asr,sidecurtains, pwr wind. pwr locks, alarm/keyless remote and lots more.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Thalo said:
It's disgusting how expensive cars are in Canada relative to the States. As a banker I've dealt with several customers lately wiring large sums of money to the States to buy cars there and drive them north. Even after duties and sales tax they come out thousands ahead, tens of thousands on luxury cars.

Well, I saw the first Rabbit commercial on a Canadian channel today and at the end it said "starting at $19,999". That's $18K US! Went to vw.ca and configured a Rabbit with all the options, basically it's a base GTI with smaller wheels and a weaker engine and configured it up to $26,555CAD. That's just under $24K US, more than what some of you claim to have gotten your GTIs for!

It just angers me that even with a new car release like this one, they're still pricing them for a 75 cent $C, when it's been at 90 cents for nearly a year.
Holy Shit! glad I'm not in canada.
Rabbit under $20k msrp us dollars in usa.
moonroof, esp, pwr win/locks, alloys,sat, 4 dr, heated seats and nozzles, pwr seat recline driver, lock diff, abs and lots more.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thalo said:
In Europe the Golf is like the third step up after Lupo and Polo
That being said, I'm surprised VW isn't putting some equivalent to those models in the US. From an earlier note, this is just the next gen Golf with a different name. As we see quoted all the time, VW is the "people's car". Yet in the US they continue to move mid to upper-mid market with their vehicles. Why aren't they putting out cars to match the Scion, Kia and Ford Fuckus models? Is it brand image? The changes over time are interesting...

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Probably has to do with import quotas. They can only import so much from Germany, so they try to be more of a mid-range and up car rather than an economy car for the masses, as they are in Europe. The low end is oversaturated by Ford, GM and all the Japanese and Korean car companies anyway. Most people in that market just don't know what a good car and driving experience is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thalo said:

I feel you my friend :(

I live in Canada... but work for companies in the US (I work from home)... I've had to work twice as hard to make the money I used to because of the strong Canadian $... and the pricing difference is still so much bigger from US to CAN... So I just keep loosing in the end... This just aint right...

Ho! BTW... my girlfriend is getting her new Rabbit tomorrow... I'll see how it compares to my GTI (If she lets me drive it... hehe)

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
batdelfuego said:
Thalo said:

I feel you my friend :(

I live in Canada... but work for companies in the US (I work from home)... I've had to work twice as hard to make the money I used to because of the strong Canadian $... and the pricing difference is still so much bigger from US to CAN... So I just keep loosing in the end... This just aint right...

Ho! BTW... my girlfriend is getting her new Rabbit tomorrow... I'll see how it compares to my GTI (If she lets me drive it... hehe)
How did they compare?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.