Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I have just been lurking on these forums for a few months now but have finally accumulated enough cash to start modding my 2006 MKV. I am looking around at different suspension options and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these suckers.

http://drivergear.vw.com/vw08/SKUDetailsVW08F3C0071678.ASP

I want to drop it a bit, but don't want to have to worry about rubbing around every single turn/bump. Obviously coils would be the way to go, but I don't see myself adjusting them that often, so really can't justify spending all that extra cash. I just want a safe way to get a nice clean stance to make my ride stand out a little bit without sacrificing ride quality (my DD ;) ). These springs are official VW springs, so they should be compatible with the rest of the suspension right? Please don't eat me alive if they are actually the stock MKV ones, I can't find any real info on them. Any info/feedback at all would be awesome. I hope to start a build thread soon. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
hey bro...first of all welcome to the world of custom dubbers lol...and if your looking for a set of lowering springs go with H&R super sport lowering springs...it lowers about 2 inches after setteling all around...i have them on my otherwise stock suspension and rims and i live around a lot of construction and have never rubbed or bottomed out and its a very confortable ride.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Suspension/Springs/ES8389/

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I'm on H&R Street Performance coilovers, all the way down, 8mm spacers in front and 5mm in the rear with stock 17" Classix. I don't rub at all. Trust me - you don't need to concern yourself with rubbing, even if you go loooooww. Any spring setup will work with stock struts. They may not be comfortable and may shorten the life of your struts, but anything made for the MKV will work no problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok here is another question then. What would be the best option to get a better stance, without majorly sacrificing ride quality? Some coils? I just don't want a punishing DD...

·
Registered
115 Posts
hey bro...first of all welcome to the world of custom dubbers lol...and if your looking for a set of lowering springs go with H&R super sport lowering springs...it lowers about 2 inches after setteling all around...i have them on my otherwise stock suspension and rims and i live around a lot of construction and have never rubbed or bottomed out and its a very confortable ride.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Suspension/Springs/ES8389/
Crazy I was looking into lowering also but I been doing some research and i've been reading that going more than 1.3in is rough territory when it comes to stock struts. I've been looking into the cheapest way with the best results JOM Blue lines coils, raceland coils, Fk street coils etc. I think Ima order the eibach pro-kit around 1in drop until I can get the extra loot for a better set up.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Ok here is another question then. What would be the best option to get a better stance, without majorly sacrificing ride quality? Some coils? I just don't want a punishing DD...
Coils give you the option to adjust your height to get that perfect stance. A set of springs will do the job of lowering but whatever height you get when they settle is what your stuck with. Good coils on the cheaper side are FK's... I run H&R premiums but they are pricey...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coils give you the option to adjust your height to get that perfect stance. A set of springs will do the job of lowering but whatever height you get when they settle is what your stuck with. Good coils on the cheaper side are FK's... I run H&R premiums but they are pricey...
Alright, yeah, but how is the ride on coils? Like I said before, I really don't want a punishing DD, no matter how nice it looks :D That's the only reason I was thinking about going with the VW sport springs. Supposedly they are more gentle?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
My H&R's ride beautifully.. I commute 80 miles a day for work. Not sure on the FK's and others since I dont have them...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ol, so it looks like my best bet is to just save up for some coils, even though I don't think I will ever need to adjust them?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
get coilovers
X2, after a while the springs wont be enough, and u will want more low, people usually end up buying coils, so why not save urself some money and just go straight to them

·
Registered
34 Posts
i went with NGP...got sum Vogtland fully adjustable coilovers, for a great price!
they blew off the shelves @Waterfest. blows my mind though...how many peoples r doin air
ride systems, bags whatevs... jus dont see them using air susp. in races? call me ol'skool...

"GetSum!"

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha, ok, well that's that then. I guess I will just save up and get some coils. It seems to be the general consensus here. :D

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Haha, ok, well that's that then. I guess I will just save up and get some coils. It seems to be the general consensus here. :D
:mad:@: good choice, you wont regret it

·
Registered
963 Posts
im gonna say get coilovers too, have them 1 height for DD and when the car show happens in the area, slam your ride:mad:@:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts