Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone have torque specifications for the 2008 GTI wheels

11K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  vladmates 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what the torque specifications are for the 2008 GTI wheels?
I have to remove them to install mud flaps.
Thanks.

#4 ·
uh....i have never used, nor have i ever seen a mechanic use a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts. It's overkill. Just tighten them. You shouldnt need an exact torque value for that...its not that critical.

Ive worked on race cars, and ive been in a mechanics shop all my life. Torque values are used where you can damage something by over or under tensioning. As long as they are tight to the point where they wont back out...it shouldnt matter.

#7 ·
ropauto ,
Thanks, 80 seemed a little low, 88 felt right.
lumpypumpkin,

Would you bolt heads on without the proper torque? Why would you ignore the torque specs for wheels?

BTW, the mud guards look great. The factory kit is well put together and fit and finish is very good. The only down side is the instructions are in German. No problem, its illustrated. :D

#8 ·
no i wouldnt. There u can destroy the motor if they are too loose or too tight. I specifically said that i would use a torque wrench there...and i have on may occaisions.

But with lug nuts....ur just holding the wheel on. Its not excactly critical that they be tightened with the perfect torque. You are not going to damage anything by puting a little more, or less torque on the wheels.

In extremes...yes you could crack the rim by tightening too much, but chances are...you are not superman...and can not put that kind of torque on it (not to mention the wrench would be bowed by that point...and you would have to be completely catatonic to NOT know that you are putting too much force on.)

likewise...if they arent tight enough, they could back off and u could loose a nut or 2...and possibly the whole wheel...but once again...you would have to be borderline retarded, to leeve a lug nut that loose

Ive put on so many tires in my life, i can feel when the nut is tightened properly. Once you do it enough, you have a nack for it. It is not a critical value. Common sense goes a long way...dont force it...dont leave it loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.